Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Clue

Posted 08-31-2020 10:17
    I could use some help! 

We finally made the decision to do a play this fall in place of our musical. We are planning to do the high school edition of Clue. I submitted an application over a week ago, and they emailed me earlier last week to let me know the application had been received and was under review and they would email me once they had more info. 

The issue is...we are already behind. I understand the company is taking longer to review and approve licenses since they are based in NY and working remotely from home. I don't want to bug them, but I am getting nervous. We are having auditions and callbacks this week, and we hoped to have a read-through this Friday and start rehearsals next week. Our show dates are Nov 13th and 14th. 

I know we aren't supposed to copy and share scripts. Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to access one to get started in the hopes we do get approved and while we wait for items to ship? 

If we don't get approved for some reason...or soon...does anyone have a suggestion of a play that might be similar that we could get the rights to perform quickly? 

Also, any simple set design ideas would be appreciated. We have a pretty big stage, and I still want the set to look good and fit our purposes, but I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on it in case something does happen between now and November where it couldn't be performed on stage.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    MacKinsey Taylor
    Theatre teacher/director
    Shelbyville IN

• 2.  RE: Clue

Posted 09-01-2020 08:01
    I would advise to just call your licensing agent.  Given the nature of the times we live in, I'm sure they will be understanding, and might be able to give you some options.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Clue

Posted 09-01-2020 08:32
    @MacKinsey Taylor

I think Pioneer has a Clue type show. They are quick with approval, like you'll get it when you call & pay. They even let you use a PO. If you call them and ask about a Clue like show, a rep will know what they have. Eldridge also has a quick turnaround & a rep there will also help you out. 

Keep us posted on what you get. 

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 4.  RE: Clue

Posted 09-01-2020 08:44
    I had the same issue when we produced Clue two years ago. I am not sure what they do over there, that takes so long.

At my school we are doing a full season two plays and two musicals. I chose shows this season that could easily be adapted to online.

Our first play is The Laramie Project. I obtained a streaming license. We will stream the show live from our auditorium.

A student directed production of Curious Incident. MS Musical Shcoolhouse Rock, Jr and our US musical is yet to be determined.

Here's to a wonderful year of theatre for all of us, as we reinvent the wheel.

Be safe and stay well.

--

Dewey J Oriente
    Head of Drama & GSA Advisor 
    610-922-2372  |
    doriente@jbha.org 

Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy 
    272 S. Bryn Mawr Avenue
    Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
    www.jbha.org

Honor-כבוד | Courage-אומץ לב |  Kindness-חסד | Community-קהילה 

2020-2021 Show Season:

"Have the passion, take the action and magic will happen." -Bar Rafaeli

Twitter: @Barrackjbha
    Like Us on Facebook  

• 5.  RE: Clue

Posted 09-01-2020 09:44
    A number of years ago I directed Clue: The Musical from Samuel French (Great show BTW!!) and our set consisted of 3 moveable platforms.  Each platform was 8x8, divided in half by a false wall - each half of each platform was one of the rooms where the action took place.  Each of the platforms also has a back wall to support the half wall.  These pieces would then move around, changing positions, angles as needed for the show.  When flipped with the back of the platforms/carts towards the audience it created the box cover to the game.  I don't know if I'm describing it well enough to envision, but it was one of my favorite sets that I've designed and used.  If I were to do it again - or maybe even with this version of the play, I would definitely do the same set again.  Hope this helps.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 6.  RE: Clue

Posted 09-01-2020 14:33
    Hello, MacKinsey!

Clue On Stage is an awesome show!

I would call & recall & re-email this company to get your answer on whether or not you can obtain the rights. I had a very difficult time getting communication from them before COVID, and it's been more difficult since. The only way that I've been able to get a response is by repeated emails AND phone calls. So, my suggestion for now is to keep at it--Clue is worth it!

For now, you can read most of the script online; you just have to provide an email. So, that's something you could start with until you get an answer. 
    https://www.playscripts.com/play/3131
    That could get you started with some scene design work, auditions, & such.

You are not bugging them; it's their job to work with you. So seriously, don't refrain from contacting them again.

Break a leg!
    susan :)

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten