Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fog Machine?

Posted 09-12-2017 08:58
    Hello,

I'm working on Triangle by Laurie Brooks for my one-act competition show. Since it's set in a sewing sweat shop, I would like to have the sound and look of "steam" during the transitions. I have a $500 budget to get a really good fog machine to create that effect. Could any recommend a good one that will shoot "steam" when needed? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA

• 2.  RE: Fog Machine?

Posted 09-13-2017 09:12
    So I have 3 thoughts. 

1.  Get a Haze Machine instead of a fog machine.  The output is much less dense than what comes from a fog machine so it will look more like steam. Its also better for fire systems, because many fire alarms in theater are based on the density of particles in the air, so keeping it light won't set the alarm off as fast lol. 

2. Use a fog machine, but use pvc piping to send it where you want it to come from, and either have crew use the remote when you want it to, or if you have the capability, get a machine with DMX and have it run in a cue through the lighting system.  You  just have to find the diameter of the output on the machine fo the size PVC pipe. You might have a little leaking, but if its hidden someone, it could work. 

3. They make new Geyser style fog machine for like DJs, my only issue with them is they also have lights to light the fog, but they do shoot straight up or at whatever angle you  set it at, so thats a plus, I don't know if you can just turn the lights off. It says discontinued But I know you can still buy it places. 
    https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/geyser-rgb/

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 3.  RE: Fog Machine?

Posted 09-13-2017 09:43
    Hello.

You might also check with Times Square Stage Lighting. They have some good quality equipment that is more on a high school budget. 

--

Donnie Bryan

Department Chair for Visual & Performing Arts

Ensworth School

P: 615.301-8918

E: bryand@ensworth.com

--

Visit us online: ensworth.com

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Blog