Open Forum

View Only

Teaching sincerity in acting

• 1.  Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-21-2016 20:25

I have a question that I don't feel like I've seen asked here.

One of my pet peeves is when my (middle school) students give performances that are clearly making fun of the character/story/the art of acting itself.

It often manifests as one of those weird gray areas, as in the actor is ticking plenty of boxes on any reasonable rubric: he or she is projecting well, is using movement well, is memorized, etc. However, rather than bringing the character and story to life and honoring the character, all of the actor's energy goes into "look how funny it is that I'm up here, acting and everything.  Hahaha!"

I give regular notes on this phenomenon, and I was even called out recently by one of my more outspoken contrarian students on this (not the performer in question) whose essential point was "I think you're wrong.  He was just trying to make the performance as entertaining as possible for us, and, after all, isn't that part of the point of performing?  If we, the audience, enjoyed it--and you're always harping on the actor's obligation to the audience--what's the problem?"  (Her statement was less eloquent.)

I have also noted over the years this tension playing out when I (regularly) have students do an evening performance for an audience primarily of parents and also have them do a daytime performance for their peers.  Frequently, the same student actors who commit fully in the evening will be breaking like Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett show in front of their peers during the day and, honestly, my impression is that they think both experiences were equally successful and may have even preferred the exhilaration of the silly performance.  It's been such an acute pain for me that I've often thought of discontinuing daytime student performances.  

I get all of the psychology at work here: adolescents, fixation on peer approval, protecting themselves by pretending to be too cool for this, blah, blah, blah.

My question is this:  do other teachers have successful strategies for combatting this problem?  I do, as I've said, attack it head-on through notes, but I don't always seem to reach the kids with this message.  Does anyone else feel the need attack the sincerity problem head-on?  Also, I'm wondering if "sincerity" (or an equivalent) is a term that needs to work its way into our teaching vocabulary/commonly used rubrics.  I understand that my latter example of willful breaking of character is probably already in our teaching vocabulary, as I believe that continuity of character is something that's already taught and assessed (in this way, maybe it wasn't the best example, but I feel like it's all a part of the same problem).  What I guess I'm more interested in is the battle against the "look at me, I'm acting!  isn't that silly?" trend that I observe. 

Thanks always for offering your perspective, and for those of us who are not yet on break....almost there!

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 08:18

I have taught middle school theatre for 12 years and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. It's especially problematic because the students will often get such positive feedback from their peers with this kind of performance. 

One thing that I have found to work (sometimes) is to talk early on in the rehearsal process about the playwright's intention. Too many students think if the audience is laughing than they are doing well, so I always make sure that with any performance activity (classroom scene or performance w/outside audience) students have to write about what they think the playwright's purpose is with the piece. In some of my class assignments "Communication of Playwright's Purpose" is part of the rubric. 

I rarely do in-school performances with student audiences. I have found the same problems as you; it is just too difficult for many at this age to hold it together in front of an entire audience of their peers. And that is justified to a certain extent. Some of their peers will give them a hard time if they are doing something deemed not cool.

Right there with you . . . 

Jennifer Bennett

Drama Director

Markham Woods Middle School

6003 Markham Woods Road

Lake Mary, FL 32810

(407) 871-1750

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School District Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the School District system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.]

• 3.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 10:15

I avoid using the word "sincerity" when critiquing my students. What I do instead is use the term "natural impulse" and talk about the use of tactics to achieve the goal rather than the character goal itself. I'm a very organic type of director and rarely give staging that is specific to particular lines. Instead I'll give the actors a set amount of time  to reach a mark and let them have the freedom to explore the character for that particular performance and complete the staging in a way that is open to interpretation.

I also use the questions "Why?" almost any time I see them start to get caught in presentational acting. "Why did your character need to move/speak/enter/exit/etc at that particular moment? How did it drive the character's personal journey forward and how is it necessary to continue to advance the plot?" To be fair, I teach high school but I find that when the students have to support their choices, out loud and during rehearsal, they are more inclined to work seriously. If they have trouble articulating their reasons one of their class/cast mates will usually jump in to help before I need to. The benefit to this is it keeps everyone actively involved. After this occurs and we run the monologue/scene/etc again I follow up with "How did you feel about your performance now?" and almost always get a response that is far more positive in their feelings/accomplishments. As soon as I get them to that point I can raise the question "If that is a better performance and makes you feel better about your abilities why would you do anything different in the future? Would you want to see an actor you is doesn't give you the best performance they can? Why? The why would you do it for your audience"? The fact that it is a daytime performance for their peers shouldn't change the answers. They also find that although they may receive more laughs for being silly in their performances for their peers, they will receive more meaningful and positive responses to their performances when they perform them honestly and with a complete commitment to the character and the performance. 

Do you ever record their rehearsals/performances and then critique them as a group? Seeing the difference in the performance (when an audience isn't feeding their need to be silly) may also help alleviate the problem. It's one thing to hear the laughs live and revel in them. It's another to have to watch yourself when the laughing has already occurred. Frequently they may find it's less of a case of laughing with them and more of a case of laughing at them. That distinction can be hard to make while the performance is occurring but it's usually pretty easily seen when looked at later. 

I also have several live performances on dvd (you can get a lot on Barnes and Noble) and we critique them. In some cases the style of acting is so different and one actor has committed to really bringing the character to life and another is "acting" and the students can see the difference. They like watching the dvds because (a) it's a movie - even thought they have worksheets and we discuss the film at regular intervals, and (b) they can see that the struggle with this concept is one that goes beyond the classroom.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 11:53

Yes, I felt "sincerity" was not precisely the right term even as I was typing.  Elsewhere someone suggested "True to text."  

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 5.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-23-2016 10:42

Can someone explain why "sincerity" is the wrong word? I am not getting it

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    333 Rampart Avenue,
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

• 6.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 11:23

Hi Ryan, 

I don't think this is just a Middle School problem, but may be worse during this age as kids are just beginning to figure out who in the world they are and how they fit in! I taught Junior High for 6 years, and then High School for the next 30 - not a lot of difference in the need to feel cool in front of your peers!

Here are a few ways I have found that might help students in this area.

1 Always compliment the students who are doing their jobs. Tell them you appreciate how mature they are, they are really doing well at bringing a believable character to the stage, they are doing work that most kids their age haven't realized yet, you admire their leadership, etc.  Kids LOVE compliments in front of everyone else. Hearing these compliments goes miles in helping others to want to do their jobs as well.

2 If a note during rehearsal seems to go ignored, speak to them personally and privately. I have found that a personal conversation is WAY more effective than cast notes.

3  If a student is making ridiculous choices during a show, I will go backstage and be waiting for them as they exit the scene. A very firm, one-sided conversation almost always takes care of the problem immediately - and there's usually one or two who have caught the gist of what's going on and will pass the word to others very quickly, so nothing further needs to be said to the rest of the cast. After the show I will always try to find something wonderful to say to the student to re-affirm them in front of everyone else, so they know that I still like them.

4 Years back we started a "prank night" - long story, but it became a great way for the kids to let off steam. This is a full dress rehearsal (for us, it is in the middle of our 2 weekends of performances, usually a Tuesday or Wednesday night)  We invite parents to come and take all the pictures they want during this rehearsal, (which also keeps uninformed, overzealous parents from taking flash photos during performances!)  The students are allowed during this rehearsal ONLY to "prank" each other. We have specific rules. They can play small tricks on each other -  without changing outcome of each scene, or harming or embarrassing anyone. For example, someone who is sipping tea might find a little goldfish swimming in their teacup. Students might switch roles for a small scene... This gives them the opportunity to be wildly creative, blow off steam, laugh and enjoy each others company. Then - my direction is easier. "For the performances, you must do your job. Anything else gets saved for prank night".

Sheri Templeton
    Valley Christian High School
    Chandler, AZ

• 7.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 12:37

I have always taught my students that the best comic actors' characters do not think that they are funny.  Variety show skits are a different story.  The joke is often an inside joke that is shared by audience and performer and it is secondary to the story, which we strive to deliver in legitimate theatre.  The trick is knowing the difference.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 8.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 13:02

Yes, I talk about the difference between being funny within the role versus standing out outside and making fun of the role.

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 9.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-22-2016 18:14

I have faced this issue on occasion.  One particularly memorable moment happened in a production of THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH  when the guys playing the Shriners thought it would be hilarious to upstage the Antrobus family with in appropriate "antics" ("Because it's funny".).   They received "a talking to" and it didn't happen again in large part because they had a better realization of how their roles should contribute to the overall production.

As far as how to handle it, I would suggest that you try what I've done when students have disagreed about a characterization.   I ask them to justify their ideas with the words of the text.   Sometimes, that leads to quite an epiphany, especially if you can support your idea with textual references.

Mark Quinlan

Theater Director, Head Speech Coach

Centennial High School

763-792-5099

finearts@isd12.org

• 10.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-23-2016 07:18

When I taught HS theatre, my students knew that this type of stuff was contrary to a great performance. I had a few tricks and tip that I used along the way to set and maintain expectation. Some may work for you, but as always, your mileage may vary. When I was an AD on the Elem. side, I used some of these with ES/MS kids as well.

1. Every show I've ever directed, in whatever setting (school, church, community) begins at audition or read through with the words: "I have no interest in doing a nice (school/church/community) show. We will be doing a great show, period."

2. Heavy doses of the concept of "be here now."

3. Correction of upstaging during rehearsals.

4. If doing a drama, reminders that we can't play it with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge attitude, or we break the spell.

5 (a). These behaviors usually manifest more when doing comedies. I consider myself a student of comedy, and my casts can pretty much recite the following Mel Brooks quote:
    "There’s one thing you’ve got to understand before you can direct comedy. Comedy is serious—deadly serious. Never, never try to be funny! The actors must be serious. Only the situation must be absurd. Funny is in the writing, not in the performing. If the situation isn’t absurd, no amount of hoke will help. And another thing, the more serious the situation, the funnier the comedy can be. The greatest comedy plays against the greatest tragedy. Comedy is a red rubber ball and if you throw it against a soft, funny wall, it will not come back. But if you throw it against the hard wall of ultimate reality, it will bounce back and be very lively. Very, very few people understand this."

5 (b). I use multiple examples of successful "zany" comedy that relies on the characters believing totally in their surroundings. I often tell them that the true reason "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a riot is because Graham Chapman plays King Arthur completely straight. This leads into discussions of the importance and difficulty of being "the straight man." (This is usually followed by listening to "Who's on First," and some "2000 Year Old Man" sketches. :)  )

5 (c). I teach this concept:

CLOWN: Wants you to laugh at what they DO.

COMEDIAN: Wants you to laugh at what they SAY

HUMORIST: Wants you to laugh at what they THINK.

None of these is a COMIC ACTOR. My fave definition:

A Comedian says funny things.
    A Comic Actor says things funny.

Most comic actors are horrible standups. Most comedians make better dramatic actors. (Typically because they are used to mining pain for inspiration.)

Comic Actors use character and script to find the laughs.

6. In order to let off steam, I allowed my students to continue a long running school tradition: It was called "Sleazy Saturday." It was closing night, and it was typically when the cast would throw in a ton of in-jokes, 4th wall breaks, etc. BUT: I modified it. I told them "All Sleazy Saturday gags must be run through me. If you pull one out without my approval, you will find you have a very tough time getting into the next production. The gag must not upstage the show." Before I took over the program, Sleazy Saturday was turning into a game of "can you top this" with mixed results. By the end of my three-year run, students barely asked to do any gags, because they were too committed to the show.

So, there you go. Some items from the toolbox of one director. Hope some of them are helpful.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 11.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-24-2016 03:43

This is a very interesting discussion that touches on a number of different areas.

What I hear most from my actor friends, and something I've taken up using myself, is whether the performance was "truthful." Or conversely, they'll say that a particular moment or a performance "felt false." In other words, I caught you acting. I've never heard "sincere" or "sincerity" with regard to an acting performance.

I would echo what others have said--that it's crucial to look at the playwright's intention. Actors, directors, designers and all the rest are there to serve the script, and no matter how much an actor's "look at me" moment may entertain in the moment, if it's not in service to the text, it's ultimately a failure. I think if that's instilled in young performers from the get-go, it helps to create an environment where actors will be less inclined to showboat. (Or hack.)

While there's much that can be said about comedy, I spent part of this afternoon doing a final proof of Don Zolidis' new play, The Astonishing Adventures of the White Weevil. As part of our printed scripts at YouthPLAYS, we have these little interviews with the author, and this particular answer from Don hits the comedy nail on the head:

What are the most common mistakes that occur in productions of your work?
    I think actors will sometimes play the laugh instead of the seriousness of the situation. In almost all of my plays, the characters don't know they're being funny. They are trying to go after what they want as much as possible.

As Don says, comedy only works when it's played seriously. Personally, I find that it's mostly situational and comes from the juxtaposition of things that don't belong together. For example, a woman walking a dog passes a man walking a fish. The fish is funny because it's the disruption of a ritual (obviously, we expect a dog on a leash, not a fish), but the laugh will be DOA if the actor playing the man walking the fish is anything but absolutely straight about it.

Happy holidays,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 12.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-24-2016 11:01

Hello,

I teach high school, and often struggle with the concept of believably.  Many students get so caught up in the "I memorized it, so I should get an A" OR, "I made you laugh, so I should get an A" that they forget that 80% of acting is in the reaction to what your scene partner has said or done.  

That said.  I have to take into account that I am dealing with 13 and 14 year old young people who are working through a LOT in their life- adolescence is sometimes worse emotionally than we remember.  So, I usually use the first semester to get them comfortable with memorization and classical text.  We also write character sketches (a first person, status quo paper to help them get in touch with who their character is and what motivates them).  This assignment is weighted just as much as their performance!

Once second semester hits, and the class is more comfortable with each other, we do a characterization unit.  This is where each student writes a self-monologue.  THEN, I assign each student someone else's monologue to perform.  Because of the physical characterization techniques we touch on and the pressure of doing someone else's story justice.  This is where I notice the light switch on for most students.  They have to learn who their classmate is through this monologue and then tell the story as if he/she is the other student.  So many times, kids come back and mention how that assignment was their favorite.  How they learned so much about their peers and themselves by putting themselves in the actual shoes of someone else.  So often, kids who have never really bonded before bond over this assignment.  This assignment teaches them that vulnerability is cornerstone of great performance.  The kids connect with each other's stories and can laugh or cry together about how "spot on" someone's performance was- because they took the time to think and connect to the "character", the person, not because they made a caricature of them.  

I don't know how it would work with middle school students, but I think that in a class where they feel safe and have gotten comfortable with one another, they could take a lot from it.  

After teaching for 13 years, I have build expectations in my program that the "ham" kids don't get cast in shows. I am looking for people who are invested in doing a great production, not getting attention.  It takes a while so reset what a student truly desires out of our classes.  Theatre is a collaborative art, and if a student can't collaborate, it's a detriment to everyone's experience, progress, and ability to learn. 

Sending you good vibes :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 13.  RE: Teaching sincerity in acting

Posted 12-24-2016 16:02

Borrowing an idea from the text of my college acting class ("Acting One" by Robert Cohen) I have been using the following catch phrase ... "Don't act, be."

This has helped many students start to overcome hamming, emoting, and breaking character.  Of course, there are still many that "out-Herod Herod" on a regular basis.  (My only consolation is that the program is less three years old, with more than 75% of the troupe being involved for less than 18 months.)

I'm thinking of expanding the idea a bit further based on a script that from years ago.  "Don't act, don't do, be."

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington