Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 03-31-2018 21:22

I have a question I"m sure many of you have been faced with and I'm looking for some possible solutions. 

We had 3 Thespians qualify for Nationals this year.  We don't have the funding to send them so we are fundraising and the Drama Parents are fundraising and will (hopefully) pay for them along with a chaperone. 

I had an additional Thespian ask if she could go if she paid her own way.  I'm thinking I can't exclude a Thespian if she wants to pay her own way.... but I'm wondering if there's any precedent.  The fundraising is for the Thespians who qualified.  The reason I'm questioning allowing another Thespian who didn't qualify to pay their own way is setting a precedent that other Thespians can do the same, and then we'd be forced to come up with funding for additional chaperones. 

Any experience/advice with this would be much appreciated.    

------------------------------
    Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 2.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-01-2018 18:11
    We've never qualified or been able to fund going, so mine is not the voice if experience 

Have you considered adding a small additional fee for each student that would ge proportional to funding a chaperone?  For my school rules that would mean each student pays for 10% of an adult so when we reach the number required for another adult, we have it. Any excess could be earmarked for use in future years.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 3.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-01-2018 22:40
    ANY inducted Thespian from an active troupe can go the the International Festival.  The "qualifying" just means those students can audition for the National Individual Events Showcase.  That is a tiny, tiny part of the festival.  

The workshops, Tech Challenge, Chapter Select one-act shows, and full-length productions provide incredible opportunities for students to learn and grow.  Simply living on a college campus, surrounded by other kids who share their passion for theatre, has a beautiful and empowering experience for my students.  The college auditions are a great opportunity, and the colleges and universities have booths with representatives that the students can talk to all week.  

In my humble opinion, the best Thespians to send to the festival are those who will bring those experiences back to grow your troupe and program.

Good luck with the fundraising!   

• 4.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-02-2018 01:33

How many chaperones do you think you need?  Does your school have a policy on how many are needed?  I average 10 students and it's only me. ITF is not just for those who qualified.  It is a week-long convention also with dozens and dozens of workshop opportunities, audition opportunities, amazing plays and musicals. Half of my students going did not qualify. Students who want to pursue the arts should not be denied the opportunity to attend. If they can afford, by all means, take them. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 5.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-03-2018 12:00
    Take anyone who is willing to pay. Try to fundraise at least part of the additional chaperone. I took a small group of students last year; none of my students qualified for their IEs at States. Our One Act was Chapter Select, but our cast was large, and we were unable to fundraise for the whole cast to go. So we opted not to take the show, and just to go check it out with those who could afford to pay (boo...making experiences available only to those who have the means...against everything in my nature, but I had few other options). They LOVED their experience and three of the four students who went improved their IEs for States this year and qualified. I cannot explain how life changing Nationals was for my students (and honestly, myself). Take every kid who wants to go. We're going again this year, with a few more students this time, and there are a few who need to fundraise some or all of their trip. I will figure out how to pay to get them there. The experience is THAT valuable.

Just my two cents as someone who finally gave in and took kids for the first time last year and is heading back again! ;-p

Heather McFadden

Heather McFadden
    WHS Theatre Director
    Walkersville High School, FCPS
    Walkersville, MD

• 6.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-03-2018 12:48
    I'd recommend bringing anyone who can afford to go. (speaking as someone who never brings kids - but I do teach workshops). I know most of the kids who attend my workshops are there for the experience, scholarships, performances and the learning opportunities; not the competition portion. It's a great opportunity for kids who are able to go.

If you are thinking of bringing more kids in the future you might look at a parent interest meeting at the beginning of the school year to go over expected costs, fundraising and methods of paying in installments instead of a big check (assuming you are able to arrange than with your accounting).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-03-2018 15:46
    Hi, Chuck -

I have been taking a group to Nebraska since 2009  - and I've made a point of going back each year whether I have kids who qualify or not.  I was fortunate to be a last-minute traveler just by myself for the first time in 2008 so that I could experience it, and learn more about what Thespian Festival involved, and I was lucky enough to be adopted by a PA Thespians troupe director who showed me the ropes and shared her expertise with a newbie. ;-)

I have had someone qualify each year since 2009 - so that meant that I needed to go to be their official chaperone (and after experiencing it personally in 2008, this was not a problem!)   The first time, I took only 2 students - one who had a Theatre Marketing IE qualify, and a student who was an STO - which made them feel more comfortable knowing that they would be each other's roomie in the dorm - and it allowed me to see it all truly as a teacher, but with 2 wonderful young ladies who I could trust implicitly, and I knew would make the most of it.

The gal whose Marketing IE qualified debated as to whether or not she should go, because by June after graduation, her focus was on saving money for college.  I told her at states before the results were announced that if she qualified, that we'd find a way to get her there.  We did a fundraiser that covered the costs for the registrations for the 3 of us almost entirely.  They just had to pay for their transportation, which was the lesser expense.

I also felt as though I owe it to my students because of their work they put in on the IE.  Most of my IE qualifiers have been in technical theatre, where their work directly connects to our fall/spring shows.  They've had to put in extra effort to satisfy the IE requirements to qualify - and now that we've had kids going each year, they're hearing about how awesome the experience has been, which drives more kids to do IE's, or save the money, or stay involved, etc... The time and money that we invest in this trip each summer comes back to us in many ways.

We've continued that tradition since that time - if they are selected as an STO or have a qualifying IE, then their registration cost is covered.  We have budgeted for that each year in case we need it - some years more than others.  If they are an STO, I do sign them up for the Leadership programs in Nebraska so that they can bring that knowledge back with them and share with the other troupe officers in some way.  But any active theatre student in good standing is able to participate. (I do use the district field trip guidelines - can't have discipline issues, etc...)

Our music department does a "big" trip every other year - and with the overlap of students, we have to be careful about fundraisers overlapping.  But we keep track of each kid's sales and have an "account" where they can build up some savings from year to year.  Some students use their funds to cover the cost of their show shirts or field trips at the local level/state conference - but some families let the balance ride to build up some savings to offset the trip to Nebraska for the following year, etc.  This is a system I was forced to adopt because music was doing it that way - but that's a longer story, and ultimately, it's working for us now... and it helps kids to reduce out-of-pocket expenses as needed, so it's a win-win.  I just need a parent who wants to help keep track of it all now!

Since we're both in PA - feel free to pick my brain anytime! I am happy to share examples of the documents I use throughout the year for accounts, etc.  But other than a week away from home, if you do go to Nebraska, you'll have a better understanding of what we're trying to describe - it's too hard to put into words... but it's awesome!

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 8.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-04-2018 12:26
    Sounds like you've gotten some great advice already! I will say that our school's policy is for the students to pay the way of the chaperons. It gets split between the total number of students attending the festival. We do a ton of fundraising and that helps bring down that cost. 

If students can afford to attend then yes let them attend! It's an amazing experience. 

We do two different types of fundraising. We do group fundraisers where the money raised gets split among all. Like an intermission raffle for our show. Then we do things like selling items we did custom bracelets this year (we are an all girls school), and each student sells individually. That money raised comes off from their individual total. Hope that makes sense. 

I would say 1 chaperone per 10 students is a good rule of thumb.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 9.  RE: Which Thespians to Nationals?

Posted 04-05-2018 05:08
    I've been in this situation. Limited funding, and such, qualified in an IE, and so on. We fund raised a lot to subsidize the IE qualifier student, and pay for the chaperone (which conveniently enough was her mother). Her friend also wanted to go, and I think I still subsidized for her but not as much as for student who qualified for an IE. It was harder to make the sell on this one, as it was a high poverty school; the students get to go to the Florida State festival for a fraction of the price because we live in the county where the festival is held, which obviously means no lodging or travel expenses, but it was just really hard to convince people to go to 'another theatre festival.' Having been to both, I think that the National festival is absolutely worth the extra investment of time/money/headache, as it's just a very different experience, and what's wrong with doing MORE theatre festivals??

But yeah, I subsidized probably about 3/4 of the cost that first year. But we also fundraised RIDICULOUSLY. I think the suggestion to hoik 10% on the cost to the student is reasonable, as that splits the cost for paying for the chaperone as needed, and if you don't get the numbers to need the chaperone then you've got a kitty for next year. The biggest headache coming from Florida was the travel aspect...

In terms of setting a precedent. Just be really clear about what you're doing, don't try and smoke and mirrors your students. If you're adding 10% to the cost, explain why. Will you be requiring them to make their own travel plans? Will you meet them there? Do you need to buy their airfare? etc. Should you collect that money now or later for that? These are things you'll be working out for the first time this year. My students for last year drove from Florida, whilst I flew in from Toronto, where I had literally just moved the week before. If you're subsidizing IE qualifying students, explain that too. Qualifying to perform at the National Festival is a sincere privilege and honor; in Florida it takes a huge amount to get to a superior score, so that is why you subsidize, in order to honor that. But pass on that explanation to the student. If you're clear, then hopefully you'll avoid 'well i heard that you paid for Sally's registration...' Yes. I paid for Sally because she qualified for an IE performance. 

The other thing to consider then, in terms of precedent setting, is if you're going to pay for every qualifying student in a performance event? Say you get 10 students qualify for IE or something. Will you be subsidizing everybody? Because you might have to think about that, down the line. So setting something up now, like, this is the policy for this year, we will have to review it as we move forward/if take-up of going to National festival rises. 

But as with all things, you'll start with two or three this year. They will love it, and will come back and absolutely sell others on the experience. Students will find the money or will fundraise their way to the money if they're passionate about it. It's surprising how much easier it becomes when the first person goes and breaks the mold, and how easily people will follow in the path that's been ploughed for them. But that first step is always the hardest, and it's tough being the first. 

It'll be worth it. I'm sorry for the rambling, I've had insomnia tonight. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON