Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  DEATH BY DESSERT! Deciding if we can put on this play whilst not offending the Italian culture.

Posted 02-13-2019 20:09
    Hi everybody! 
    My school is going to put on a Spring play and we are in the midst of deciding what to do. 

Right now we are deciding between "Death by Dessert" or "The Plot, Like Gravy, Thickens". 

We are leaning towards "Death by Dessert" but the idea of offending/mocking the Italian culture came up. Would us putting on this play be offensive or mock the culture? 

Let me know what you think!!

------------------------------
    Neeka Majidishad
    San Diego, CA

• 2.  RE: DEATH BY DESSERT! Deciding if we can put on this play whilst not offending the Italian culture.

Posted 02-13-2019 20:59
    I think you're asking the wrong people. The description of the play on the website seems innocuous enough and in my very limited and narrow experience, the Italian-Americans I've known (just as any other ethnicity) don't mind laughing at certain stereotypes of their culture if they are presented in a  lighthearted way, rather than a mocking or vicious  way. Ask the Italian-Americans in your community. Depending on how the play is written, many may find it hilarious. But, take all of this with a grain of salt, since I have not read the play.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: DEATH BY DESSERT! Deciding if we can put on this play whilst not offending the Italian culture.

Posted 02-14-2019 13:44
    I am producing Death By Dessert for the second time in 10 years. It works beautifully. The "Italian" characters are opportunity for real character acting in my opinion. We are not spoofing them. I am also adding a New York/New Jersey accent for some. After all, it is Little Italy. If done well, I would not worry about repercussions. It is actually phonetically written into the dialogue! Have fun!!!

Heather Davidson
    Drama Teacher
    Augusta GA