Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ASL show

Posted 05-07-2019 14:28
    Looking for a show to do next year that I can have the actors perform with American Sign Language and have voicing actors off stage.

We have a large Deaf and Hard of Hearing population at my school and in our area and I want to cater a show for them. Essentially my plan is to have all parts double cast with one signing performer and one voicing performer. But I'm having trouble finding a show. 

I would prefer a comedy but am open to a drama. It needs to be a small-ish cast (5-7) due to the doubling needed. And if a comedy needs to rely on physical comedy rather than sarcasm or wordplay.

Any suggestions???

------------------------------
    Gayle Snow
    Tech Theatre Teacher
    Hazelwood Central High School
    Florissant MO

• 2.  RE: ASL show

Posted 05-07-2019 15:23
    I have had Mother Hicks by Suzan Zeder on my to do list for a few years now.  It's a drama set in the Great Depression, take a look and see if it might work for your community.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: ASL show

Posted 05-07-2019 22:45
    The Signal Season of Dummy Hoy!!  I know, the name is awful, but it's about the deaf baseball player who is the reason that hand signals are used in baseball today. You couldn't do it with voices off stage, but it's a fabulous script, and at least 2 actors must sign fluently.  Those 2 sign basically the entire show.  Take a look and see if it might fit your needs.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: ASL show

Posted 05-08-2019 10:18
    We produced Zeder's Mother Hicks several years ago. It's a beautiful show, and it is part of a trilogy. It was a great experience for both our high school students and the audience.

Wendy Harms
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Manitou Springs High School
    Manitou Springs CO

• 5.  RE: ASL show

Posted 05-08-2019 07:50
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
    https://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=4199

Children of a Lesser God
    https://www.samuelfrench.com/p/6589/children-of-a-lesser-god

Elizabeth Wotherspoon
    FHS Drama Director
    Fairfield IA

• 6.  RE: ASL show

Posted 05-09-2019 14:52
    We did a show with shadow performers a Voice actor and an ASL actor (so, 2 live people onstage at all times with similar blocking).   

One of the best shows I've ever been a part of!!

We did Radium Girls, and even got to talk to the playwright some...  so awesome!   

Any show could potentially work... depends on your wants and who your audience is... as much as anything

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]