Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Road House Theater Space

Posted 10-18-2017 11:02
    Good Morning,

This is my first post onto the Community. 

This year I moved to a new school where the Theater connected with the school is actually a community Roadhouse heavily used by the outside and surrounding community. It is a beautiful space and the possibilities are endless within. There is a staff of two to manage the calendar and rental of the facility as well as a TD, ATD, and crew to staff the outside shows.

What this means though for our school's Theatre program though, is that we don't get first dibs at using the space, we can be bumped by community groups from rehearsing in there, and my classes don't always get to use the space to work in. I am adjusting (albeit slowly) to this new status quo...and, it's a slow adjustment. The scene shop isn't for the Theatre department, my scene storage is in another location across the street under the football field, and my classroom (30'x35') is my primary rehearsal space.

There are some bonuses though. Students can be employed in the PAC for work, my Technical Theatre students can grip at any public event, and the TD and ATD are there to assist me during tech load in and one will help backstage.

Does this sound familiar to you? Are you operating in a similar situation? Since I am new to this and it is quite an adjustment for me because I came from a school where the Theater was my classroom and a school/community performance space (with school-first emphasis), I am just looking for strategies, thoughts, constructive ways to make this type of situation work.

Thanks for the help!

------------------------------
    Dallas Myers

• 2.  RE: Road House Theater Space

Posted 10-18-2017 16:04
    While I personally don't have to deal with this, one of my sister schools uses the Fine Arts Center for the city and have to be flexible with practically everything - even using the hallways backstage. As you've noticed there are some great perks to sharing the space like this, but the cons can be frustrating. 

Would you be able to use foyer space (if it's larger than your room) to rehearse? Again, not great, but possibly an improvement in physical space. Are there other areas you can go to on an "as available basis" like an extra dance room or gym? Or, if the weather is nice, is there a green area outside where you can work? Just some random thoughts...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Road House Theater Space

Posted 10-18-2017 21:15
    I have actually never been in a situation where the theatre has been my classroom, so I've become an expert at moving shows in a few days (or even a few hours) before opening. First of all, you seem super upbeat and positive about the entire situation, and that's great! I always feel like our students actually end up better prepared for the "real world" because, when they get to college and post-grad theatre productions, they're going to have to deal with short tech periods, last-minute rehearsal space changes, and almost never working in the space where their performance will take place. This will be a great opportunity to prep your pre-professional students for life beyond the high school theatre classroom. (Not to mention that your students will already have paid professional work experience on their resume from their jobs in the PAC! Such a huge advantage!)

In terms of tricks, I agree with Shira to look elsewhere if you need a larger rehearsal space. Gym! Cafeteria! Football field! Deserted space behind bleachers! They all work. Just bring some spike tape and teach a student how to tape out the dimensions of the actual stage, so your students have a better idea of the space that's actually available to them. I also kept 2-3 rolling suitcases in my classroom for props. At the end of rehearsal, one of my student SMs/ASMs was responsible for putting all of the props in the suitcases in an organized manner. If we unexpectedly had the opportunity to go down to the auditorium the following day? Great! Props are already packed and ready to go! If we needed to relocate to the cement basketball court next to the school instead? No problem! Have spike tape and prop bags, will travel.

Also, while you have a full tech staff and probably a substantial budget as well, you might want to think about working with touring sets. For instance, my extracurricular program will be doing a two-week run of a chamber opera at a local high school this season. We're going to have a set -- but we also need to be able to move that set out of the way so that students can participate in classes during the week. That means we need to make something that can be at least partially struck in about thirty minutes. This all sounds horrifically inconvenient to most of my teacher friends (designing sets that can be struck and re-built in record time), but, once again, I'd argue that this prepares my students for post-graduate life. Many of my friends working in professional theatre got their starts at small fringe festivals where they only had 30-60 minutes of tech and a 10-15 minute strike afterwards. And these were folks who graduated from top-tier BFA programs. Even the most talented and well-trained theatre-makers start small. So it always helps when we're setting them up for success in that arena from high school onwards.

Finally, I think it's so important to model flexibility for your students. (Which you sound fantastic at!) I've had so many instances where I've walked into a rehearsal space only to find out that it was mis-booked or cancelled last-minute or, even worse, the entire building's locked and no one can reach the manager. This happens in local theatre -- and it also happens off-Broadway. In these events, it's so important to show students that you have to use the unexpected as an opportunity. Need to rehearse outside? Great! Use the environmental noise as a cue to practice projection! Need to rehearse in a hallway? Great! Let the enclosed space guide the intimacy of the scene! Need to rehearse at a shopping mall? Great! Drum up some local interest in your show. (We've done all of these before. Even the shopping mall.) If you can teach your students that it's okay when things don't go according to plan, then you'll have students who will not only be able to succeed in the theatre industry, but in any job that they want to tackle after graduation.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Road House Theater Space

Posted 10-19-2017 13:12
    Hi Dallas,

It's Sydney Thiessen from Reynolds (TD/Lighting Designer for Big Fish at State last year).  In addition to being Reynold's TD, I'm also the Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator, and my job is manage rentals and outside use of our facility.  It was opened as a facility that could be used by the community in addition to its high school, and school district needs.

Scheduling in the space is fairly tight, but the high school does get priority.  It's always a bit of tug and pull with arts events, traditional high school events, and rentals.  The auditorium is not the theatre classroom, though through me, they book finals, rehearsals, shows, and work time.  Their classroom is a standard building classroom.  I've been visiting a number of schools in my area, and most use a black box classroom set up, some use a regular classroom, and only one or two use the actual auditorium as their primary classroom.

The shop is primarily the theatre's space, though occasionally other groups use it.  That is not open to community groups as a shop.

If you want to talk money and supplies, and how we set up rentals, let me know and I'd be happy to give you more information.

Also, I encourage you to get on the coordinator's calendar.  I will book people through the end of the school year, and if I know that you want a space at a certain time, the earlier I know the better.  Early communication is key.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: Road House Theater Space

Posted 10-30-2017 19:00

It is becoming more and more common for high schools to be equipped with a state-of-the art Performing Arts Center (theatre) on campus. Some are run by the Drama teacher (who has to wear all hats!), and some, like yours are professionally staffed. It's unusual though for the school not to have 'first dibs' in the schedule every year, and it's also unusual for outside events to be allowed access to the Drama department's scene shop – that sounds like a huge liability to me. But, it's not so unusual for the school to have to rehearse in a different space and have a quick tech week turn around in the theatre. But, as you say, despite the drawbacks, there are a LOT of benefits to your students, especially the vocational students. Would that every high school theatre in this country have the same vocational opportunities! Here's a blurb from the Road House chapter from my book, for anyone considering this model:

I've seen so many high schools assume that the Drama teacher can take care of managing a theatre and that the students can crew the events. It then comes as a surprise when they later discover that the Drama teacher does not want to be a manager and the students are unreliable if they're not paid, and only then do they come to the conclusion that they must hire a Theatre Manager and professional theatre technicians.

There are some important things to consider when deciding whether to hire a professional Theatre Manager and technicians or whether your existing teaching staff and students can run outside events. These are the same questions to ask when deciding if your outside events need highly qualified professionals. Again, they are:

Is your school staff comfortable with and knowledgeable about your theatre's functional operation? 

Is your school staff familiar enough with the theatrical process to make scheduling decisions?

Is there a vocational training program for technical students?

Is your theatre ergonomically functional?

Are operational policies and procedures in place that are strictly enforced?

Is your theatre being used to its full potential? 

Is your theatre self-sustaining?

Is learning enhanced through your theatre operations?

Are there safety policies and procedures in place that are strictly enforced?

Is your theatre protected from liabilities and lawsuits?

I can't recommend strongly enough that you hire a Theatre Manager and technicians. This isn't to say that students can't work outside events, in fact I strongly advocate for that (and if you can pay them, that's even better), but not without the supervision of professionals. Outside users are paying to use your facility and they are required to pay to use your technicians, so they expect a professional experience.

In addition, it's essential to have certain technicians (depending on the specific needs of each event) to be present for safety and liability reasons, as well as for the success of the event or show.  I would encourage hiring professionals for any high school theatre that also acts as a "road house".

You didn't mention whether the proceeds from the theatre rentals go directly towards your Drama program, or just into a district 'pot'. I'm hoping it's the former. Regardless, I know you may be having to share the space (although I don't agree with not having first dibs), but you are ahead of the game for the most part, and there are many benefits to the students when a high school theatre also has professional 'real life' usage. I see you are in WA – maybe contact Marc the Theatre Manager at NPAC (Bothell High School campus) – their theatre is run much like you are describing.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (limited to 8 students).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO