Open Forum

View Only

Distance Ensemble Experiences for Theatre Educators and Students Session Six

• 1.  Distance Ensemble Experiences for Theatre Educators and Students Session Six

Posted 04-15-2020 00:16
    Distance Ensemble Experiences for Theatre Educators and their Students Session Six
    April 15, 2020
    The experiences detailed can be used for Warmups, Collaboration, Cool Downs. Students experience the 21st Century Skills-Creative Thinking, Critical Thinking, Communication and Collaboration (by distance). I do not teach Theatre Games, because games indicate a winner and loser. In Ensemble Experiences, each participant is a winner. We work with Objective, Obstacles, Tactics and articulating participant's thoughts and feelings with Reflective Inquiry.
    For Distance Learning, students need be seated so that you can see each. Later you will ask each to stand; they need to stand with some open distance for movement. It is great if students can view all of the participants.
    Educators, you have permission to tweak any experience to fit your needs. Enjoy.
    *P=P-I PERFORMANCE EQUALS POTENTIAL MINUS INHIBITORS
    An actor is invited to address any inhibitors prior to the experience.
    Ensemble based learning/cooperative learning/make your partner look good-even at a distance.

** Are You Undersighed? Have you Sighed today at least 10 times?
    Objective: Sighing together as a group to relieve any stress points in the actor's body and breath.
    It is helpful if all actors can see their fellow actors.
    Discussion about the potential obstacles
    Discussion about possible tactics.
    Upon an agreed-upon signal from the Theatre educator or student leader, actors stand together and inhale on a count of 3 and exhale for a count of 6. As they exhale all sigh a verbal sigh.
    Repeat 2 times.
    Sigh with your face; inhale on a count of 3 and exhale on a count of 6, making big faces; Sigh verbal sighs.
    Repeat 2 times.
    Sigh with your arms and hands; Inhale on a count of 3 and as the actors exhale, stretch with arms and hands while sighing verbally.
    Repeat 2 times.
    Sigh with your upper body-waist to head. Inhale on a count of 3 and exhale on a count of 6, making sighing sounds.
    Repeat 2 times.
    Sigh with 2 legs and upper body. Sit for this experience. Upon a signal inhale on a count of 3 and as you exhale, stretch your arms, hands, face, and 2 legs.
    Repeat 2 times.
    Discussion about how this experience can be used by an actor in rehearsal and performance.
    **Give Yourself Applause-The Sound of One Collective Applause
    Objective-Group practices applauding together until there is one collective sound.
    Obstacles-Discuss how this objective is compounded by distance, electronic devices
    Tactics-Discuss how the group might achieve the collective applause.
    Determine a leader, teacher or student to guide the group by calling out random number challenges; start by having the class stand; then the leader calls out "Give yourself 3." Immediately upon hearing the number 3, the actors clap together in a rhythmic 3 count.
    Call 3 again; repeat the collective applause of 3 claps.
    Take a moment and discuss success and challenge for the next numbers.
    Alternate 1, 5, 2, 4.
    Applaud together to celebrate.
    ** S.O-Take a Bow-What Have You Accomplished? I need an Applause-Virtual Hug.
    Objective: Each actor is invited to stand from a seated position and announce a positive achievement, no matter how mundane, i.e. "I brushed my teeth today." "I dressed in clean clothes top to bottom this morning." "I babysat my little brother/sister." After each announces his/her accomplishment; the group applauds together one time. It is imperative for all actors to be able to see one another.
    Obstacles: Only one actor stands at a time. If more than one actor stands, someone/s can sit to help the group achieve the ensemble's objective.
    Tactics: Discuss some ideas on how to achieve one standing a time.
    Allow the group to try this experience at least 2 minutes. You might announce near the end of the time period, "I invite anyone who has not spoken to take a stance."
    Conduct a group applause at the end of the experience.
    Congratulations.
    I will post more this week.
    Gai Laing Jones

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    www.gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    ------------------------------