Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-12-2018 15:03
    Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for producing Legally Blonde at a school with a very small budget and no fly system or significant wing space?

------------------------------
    Ann Witting
    Munster IN

• 2.  RE: Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-13-2018 11:00
    We just closed Legally Blonde and we do not have a fly space.   We did sets that were more representational.  Used allot of furniture.  We do have a nice budget - but I know the show can be done (set wise) rather simply.  The costumes where our bigger expense.  We had a great time doing the show.  

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 3.  RE: Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-14-2018 11:03
    We just closed LB so I hope I can help.  Are you able to build levels? How many are you looking to put onstage in the ensemble?

Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 4.  RE: Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-14-2018 11:22
    Wow... it sounds like you're in my auditorium. ;)

We closed the show this fall and I did a VERY minimalist set. It worked out really well and allowed for a lot more space for the big choreography numbers. My students production crew spent some time figuring out exactly where each set piece went and spiked the backstage area to ensure that everything was placed to allow for set changes and entrances and exits. Then they swapped the set pieces needed at intermission (the other act was held in the scene shop which is directly connected to our stage).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-15-2018 09:40
    I have also produced Legally Blonde (in 2012) with a minimal <g class="gr_ gr_75 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="75" data-gr-id="75">set,</g> because my stage is small and my cast was large.  I think you'll find people can follow the many scene changes easily with a few representational <g class="gr_ gr_235 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="235" data-gr-id="235">set</g> or prop pieces.  
    The segues from scene to scene need to happen quickly (in some cases, without even a blackout) to keep the intended momentum of the plot building.  
    I second the need for a spot for quick costume <g class="gr_ gr_403 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="403" data-gr-id="403">changes,</g> because Elle is hardly ever offstage. and her different costumes are key to the theme and plot of the play.  
    BTW, my high schoolers had SUCH FUN with this production, and it was well-received by our audiences.  The music is more difficult than you might think, and the group numbers are true show-stoppers!

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 6.  RE: Producing Legally Blonde

Posted 05-16-2018 08:14
    Your kids are going to love this show!

I produced "Legally Blonde" previously 5 years ago at another theatre and I am producing it next spring with my High School kiddos. I did not have a fly space in the previous production and do not have one at this school's venue either. As before I will use projections and  appropriate rolling set pieces. The combination of cyc projections and rolling set pieces keeps the show moving at a fast pace and allows the open floor space for the big production numbers that are the highlight of the show.

If you do not have an appropriate scene projector at your school, they can be rented (or purchased - there are some really affordable/reconditioned units available). Check out  the website www.BroadwayMediaDistribution.com.

Break a leg!
    Cheers!

William Eyerly, PhD, EdD
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Academic Dean
    Canterbury School
    Fort Myers, FL

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Academic Dean
    Canterbury School