Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awarding points

Posted 05-01-2020 13:10
    Hello,
    A couple of years ago, we had an incident during the final week of rehearsal for our annual musical and because of some poor behavior decisions of some students, about half dozen of our cast & crew members were unable to perform in the show.
    One of these students is now applying to be inducted into ITS. 
    Does this student earn the points for the work done on the musical the student was unable to perform in because of student's behavior choices?
    Student did nearly 95% of the time involved in the show and role.
    I am curious if other schools have had this issue and how have you dealt with it?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Fritz
    ITS Troupe #285 Advisor

• 2.  RE: Awarding points

Posted 05-07-2020 12:56
    I saw there were no comments on this. That's unfortunate.
    I have always had the policy that anyone who did not see the show through to closing for reasons other than health and family emergencies, does not get to count the show in their points. They may have points for other things but not this. I too have had kids quit or get cut in the last weeks due to poor choices and they forfeit all points connected to the show. Students in that category are not eligible to run for thespian officers either (I have had them try). They also do not get to count the show if they do not show up to strike the set. This was a new thing I started this year. Again only making exceptions for health and family. No strike..no points.
    I have a contract all cast and crew sign to make sure they  (and their parents) know this.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 3.  RE: Awarding points

Posted 05-08-2020 01:03

Your question also applies to Spring Musicals and plays canceled prior to performances this year, due to COVID-19. We were a week away from performing Shrek, when our District (and State) basically shut everything down. My students are asking whether they still get their Thespian points. What are others doing with this situation?

Dawn Coyan
    Manteca CA

• 4.  RE: Awarding points

Posted 05-08-2020 07:12

When any of our past students have quit or had to be removed from a production even mid-run (we do a three-weekend for our musicals) they were not awarded any points. 

Seeing a production through to the strike is all part of the experience.  We even hint that if you do not stay for the strike after the closing matinee that you will not earn your Thespian points (though every year someone doesn't stay for one reason or another and I haven't pulled the trigger on that threat yet).

As for this year, we were two weeks from opening SEUSSICAL when we got the call.  We have decided to award everyone their Thespian points this year as if the production went on for their hard work rehearsing.   

Some kids need all four years to earn Honor Bar and losing one of the musicals for something they had nothing to do with could have prevented that from happening.  We even gave students points who had committed to running sound and follow-spot even though we got cancelled before they arrived for our spring break tech week.

As teachers, we have been told that all of our grading over this distance learning quarter should err on the side of generous.   We are awarding points with that same spirit.

Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH

• 5.  RE: Awarding points

Posted 05-08-2020 09:31
    I think this has split into to entirely separate conversations.  

The first one is about how to award points for projects that were not completed or canceled because of the pandemic.  For these, students should absolutely be awarded points for the project, just like they would be if they rehearsed for a show, but didn't get to perform because they got strep during tech week.  Hey, it happens.  My seniors (and some underclassmen) were working on a self-produced Senior Spotlight that they had spent many weeks writing and rehearsing for before it was canceled.  I told them that everyone could have at least 2 points, and they were welcome to make their case for more.  

To address the OP question, for a project not completed because of a student's behavior (as opposed to something out of their control), it is totally fair and in line with ITS values to not award points.   They need to earn their points in good faith and can continue to do so until they have earned their induction.  I think if the student is serious about earning their place in ITS, and regaining your trust, they would do this willingly.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC