Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-17-2020 12:15
    Hello fellow Thespians--  I am looking at directing Macbeth in the fall.  I would like to do the play requiring minimal set, costumes, etc. so we can just focus on the language & character development.  This will be my first Shakespeare play I have directed.  Any resources that would help for first time bard directors?  Any ideas to reduce the length or characters in the play but keep all of the essential plot?  Any ideas/resources would be greatly appreciated!

Peace,
    Ms. Tracy Lynn Wagner
    Physical Education Teacher
    FPA Dramatic Director & Choreographer 
    International Thespian Society Troupe #8880 Director
    AV Coordinator/ AV Crew Director
    Student Council Moderator

Lancaster Catholic High School

650 Juliette Ave.
    Lancaster, PA 17601
    717-509-0315
    717-509-0312 (fax)

Confidentiality Notice:

This message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-18-2020 07:42

I directed Macbeth several years ago, because I love the play. My best advice is honestly...don't direct it in a high school. Besides the fact that it is cursed (I'm only half kidding) I really found that my students had a very hard time connecting with the characters. Shakespeare can be so challenging for so many reasons...and if you are keeping the language as written (as one should) there are lots of other plays where students can relate better to the characters. I LOVED directing Romeo and Juliet, or even The Tempest was a great adventure. Even a show like A Winter's Tale can work really well while presenting a challenge. 

------------------------------
    Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 3.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-19-2020 09:36
    Sorry to disagree, Macbeth is great with High School students. We have done it twice and we have done it for our district sixth graders. We used the Utah Shakespeare Festival touring script. My students love to do scenes from it too.

Steve Abaroa
    Highland High School

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-18-2020 09:23
    Tracy,

I can absolutely help you with this process as I am trained in using the First Folio, directed and acted in several of the Bard's plays and just finished directing my version of Macbeth or as I called it The Scottish Play in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.  I will start by agreeing with Rebecca that the Scottish Play can be overwhelming for a first go at Shakespeare and that there are other productions out there where you can have fun exploring Shakespeare's plays and text with your students without overwhelming you or your students for a first go (I recommend "I Hate Shakespeare!"by Steph DeFerie).  But if you have a great understanding of the play and a passion to direct your kids in the play...Go for it!  High school is about giving kids experiences and if you lead them through this rehearsal with passion and joy, they will gain so much from it.  If you would like we could meet over video conferencing and have a discussion about the play, concepts, fight choreography, approaching the text, etc.  Email me at scooney@burlcoschools.org and you can check out the version I directed this past fall at the links below:  

Final Fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7up7ssPfksk

Whole Play:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT3gjM6N-KQ&t=390s

Much love and light.  

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ

• 5.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-20-2020 15:27
    Thank you all for your opinions on directing Macbeth for high school.  I do plan on going for it.  I'll be in touch Scott!!

Tracy Wagner
    Director & Choreographer for the Fine & Performing
    Lancaster Catholic High School
    Lancaster PA

• 6.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-20-2020 18:30
    Break a leg! Macbeth has always been a favorite of mine! I hope you have a great experience!

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 7.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-20-2020 20:06
    I look forward to helping you on your journey!  All the best!

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ

• 8.  RE: Macbeth Resources for Directing

Posted 04-21-2020 10:46
    I first directed the Scottish play when I was teaching middle school theatre and my 7th grade class performed the piece. I used 5 different leads, one for each act and since the 4th act has no women (other than witches) in it I used a female lead. The students were all told to buy a specific color of sweatpants and sweatshirts as their costume. I made simple dresses for the female characters using a Simplicity pattern. I cut the script, gave it to the students and then they argued with me on how I had cut out some important parts! Loved it! 
    I would recommend that if you don't have enough men, cast women in the "soldier roles" but cast them as some soldiers, not drag performers. Keep it simple, lighting can do wonders. If you have the money, hire a good fight choreographer. 
    I like the Neil Freeman version. He has taken all the folios and quartos and put them together in a way that makes sense. If found differences in the versions he made an academic/artisitic decision on which is the best. It's heavily footnoted. His editions are difficult to find now that he has passed away. Such a great loss.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher