Open Forum

View Only

Microphone Frequencies in Schools

• 1.  Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 09-28-2018 17:25
    Hi everyone,

I'm a journalist with BroadwayWorld.com and we recently came across a story concerning wireless microphone frequencies. A frequency was auctioned off to big business, and now schools and amateur companies around the country are forced to purchase new equipment or face interference or hefty fines. (See this article for more information.)

Are you facing this problem or do you know a school or company who is? We're assembling an article for our readers and would love to help everyone get the word out especially about any fundraisers for new equipment.

Thanks!
    Julie

------------------------------
    Julie Musbach
    BroadwayWorld

• 2.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 09-30-2018 14:48
    We will lose all eighteen of our microphones. We have had them for about ten years now, but to replace all of them will be an incredible burden.  I have applied for a grant to replace them, but it looks unlikely we will get it. Not the only one facing this dilemma.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 3.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 08:26
    We too are affected by this change. Our small, rural school doesn't have money to keep up with the normal changes/needs of our department, so to add an unexpected change that has nothing to do with the otherwise working microphones that we have, is really disappointing.

Diana Driver
    Crozet VA

• 4.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-02-2018 08:46
    My school is in the same scenario where we don't have $10,000 to replace our wireless microphones and the receiver.  I have told my administration several times over the past three years about this impending change, and they said that we're exempt because we're a public school.  
    I feel that asking theatre teachers or music teachers to make this changes on a site-based level is the complete wrong way to go about the change.  I might have the new law incorrect, where institutions with fewer than 50 microphones don't have to comply.  So, if that's the case, it's true that individual schools might be "exempt".  However, when an entire school district is taken in to account, that exemption no longer holds water.  
    As teachers, we can only do so much.  It should be the responsibility of the school districts to fund the changes and also shoulder the responsibility for non-compliance.  
    For many schools, we budget to replace maybe 1-2 microphones/year.  When considering new receivers as well as new microphones, that financial burden is overwhelming!  And, without district support, teachers are left with little choice:
    1. ditch the illegal mics and have audiences disappear because they can't hear our shows
    2. use the illegal mics until funds are independently raised (2-5 years)

So, among all the other aspects of producing shows that we juggle, this is just "one more thing" that's going to have to take a back seat until we get support and actual funding to make these essential changes.  We will continue to inform our parents and audiences of our fundraising initiative to get new, compliant microphones, but things in public schools take a LONG time to change.  
    We have our fingers crossed that we'll meet the 2020 deadline!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 5.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-03-2018 08:18
    Lisa

Your administration LIED to you.  There are no exemptions.  The government sold off the band to the wireless industry for the new G5 broadband wireless access.  Do they really think that the government would have exempted schools and risk the ability of T-mobile and others to provide a reliable service without risking massive law-suits.  If you had paid $3 billion for this band would you find this acceptable.  Sheesh!  Ostriches!

To all other frustrated wireless users

It is not the government fining your school district that is the current problem, but T-mobile has already been running their own vans around searching out "transgressors" and serving "cease and desist" orders with the threat to pass their complaint onto the FCC for enforcement plus potential civil action.  You really want any part of that.  Try explaining that to the school board.  As always ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Part of our business is renting wireless systems.  If you are in this bind after Jan 2020 or after receiving a "cease & desist" notice, I am willing to work with you on renting replacements with an up to 50% discount off our regular prices.  I will need a copy of the notice and/or a promise not to use the illegal units.  Offer only covers the number of illegal channels not any additional units you need.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 6.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 08:55
    We are a public school in Ohio and we have no money to completely replace the sound/microphone system. I guess we will deal with interference and hope that we are not fined. Whoever changed this did not consider the impact on schools and churches, nor cared.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 09:48
    First a few comments about the sell off of the 600MHZ band that has affected us all.  This was first announced almost 5 years ago, and then when it happened they gave us a couple of years notice of the auction date and then there was a grace period which ends between now and Jan 2020 depending on geographical locations.  It wasn't last minute.

You are right in that the wireless mic community was not given very much consideration because we were pitted against the masses (including ourselves) who want our cell phones to act as always connected super fast computers.  When 500 million cell phones need to be wirelessly connected at broadband speeds they need more bandwidth than was available, and the needs of the many way out rank the needs of the few.

Secondly ...wireless gear or most electronics for that matter, has a reliable life expectancy of 7 to 10 years, so whenever you add wireless gear there needs to be a plan in place to replace the equipment in that period - if you can stretch it a few years take that as a plus, but don't expect flawless performance out of it.  Sound, video and lighting equipment is not like a house that lasts forever with just basic maintenance, it is more like a TV set or computer that has a finite working life and then needs upgrading.

All the major wireless manufacturers have been offering generous rebate schemes for months now for anyone upgrading into new systems. Sennheiser and Audio-Technica are running theirs until March 31st 2019 while Shure's official end is on October 31st this year.  

I appreciate that it is a burden for most schools, especially if the early notifications somehow skipped your attention (though there have mean items in this forum for almost  years now), and you are not alone.  Folks on the business end are also affected.  I have well over 100 channels in rental that will become totally illegal come Jan 2020, and which cannot already be used in NYC, LA and a couple of other major cities due to T-Mobiles "testing". 

My cost to replace these will run somewhere between $120,000 and $200,000 which like you is cash I don't have laying around.  So like all of us I have to find ways to make it work - some will be replaced straight away taking advantage of the rebates to lessen the burden, others will be replaced over time at full price, and any shortfall I need to meet rentals will be done through sub-rentals until we catch up to demand.  It is just a fact of business - we have to move with the vagaries of the market.  Nothing stays the same.  I knew this was coming, and made sure anything new I added over the last few years was not going to be negatively impacted. 

Will the government sell of more bandwidth to the Telecoms? ... probably.  Will that be a problem? YES! Can I or the industry do anything to stop it?  No, at best, like this round, just get time to minimize the downside.  Likely band we will lose next is 554-608MHz or if we are lucky just 580MHz to 608MHz.  So My advice is buy 470 to 554 MHz systems.  I also recommend going digital over UHF (not 2.4GHz nor most 900MHz systems) as you can get way more channels in a much smaller band (like 40-50 channels pr 24MHz vs 10-16 with analog)

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE OUR KIDS ACCESSORIES TO A CRIME:
    I am particularly concerned by the thought that it is acceptable to just keep using the illegal channels in the hope of not getting caught.  What a great example to set to our children!  I know our political process is breaking down to the - "it's not a crime unless you get caught" philosophy, but once that hits our schools society is indeed doomed.  I sincerely hope that this was more an expression of frustration than an actually an intent to condone and encourage the breaking of the law, and the co-opting/encouraging children to be part of that.  Under the law the person using the transmitter is the person who is in breach of the FCC regulation forbidding the use of an unlicensed transmitter on the 608-698MHz band.  Please be careful.  If you have a dozen transmitters on a show that could be 12 breaches per performance  times the maximum fine which I understand is $100,000 - does you school board want to be liable for that.  Do you local tax payers want to be on the hook for that - sounds like an excellent way to kill of the theatre program for generations to come.

If I can help any of you that have problems with existing systems please feel free to call me 908-899-1277

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 8.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 10:30
    Two high schools in our town; both will lose all our mics, probably about 20 between us. The tech staff in our corporation probably knew about the change coming, but I didn't. My auditorium lost our intercom system due to the sale of band width before I started working here. No money to replace it, so I'm using walkie-talkies to call cues - something I do NOT recommend, but it was the difference between several hundred dollars that I could find vs. thousands of dollars the corporation could not find.

I fight the battles I can fight, and content myself with being a bug in someone's ear for the others.

Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus East High School

• 9.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 13:15

I'm in the same boat. And no, the rebate is not generous. If I turn in all 12 of my current systems I can buy at best 3 new systems. And I will still have extra transmitters and hand mics that will be useless.  

So, what do I do? Send the all old ones in for rebate and have three new systems and slowly add more as the money comes in, or hang on to the old ones (which are working just fine) and replace them one by one as money comes in?

There are no easy choices. I'm sure some will opt to continue to use the old ones past the cutoff date. It won't be the end of society, and it won't be turning our students into accessories to a crime (maybe that was said more out of frustration) – it will merely be teachers with limited resources trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I'm not condoning it, but I certainly understand why someone would make that decision.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 10.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-01-2018 16:07
    We were affected. I knew this change was coming and planned for it. I'm taking advantage of the Shure trade-in of $250 per transmitter. We had to replace 9 of our 11 microphones. The total is around $8,000. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 11.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-02-2018 09:58
    Thank you, Rod, for your thorough explanation.  Yes, we have known about this for a while! We all have difficult budgeting to do and your recommendations are really helpful to move us toward the best possible solution.
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle High School
    Standish, ME

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 12.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-02-2018 10:41
    We are effected by this as well.  All of our wireless mics are in that range and were fairly recently acquired (5 years ago) before I started.  All 10 microphones we have PLUS the 3 official school microphones are going to be illegal soon.  We are in a rural enough area that we could likely get away with it, but honestly I have been so diligent with my students to follow the laws and rules and a role model for their future that I just couldn't do it ethically.  Unfortunately we don't have ANY spare cash in our program.  Our most profitable show made a few hundred dollars so the reality of us being able to replace is just not feasible.   We have applied for a local grant to replace 4 of them, but who knows if that will come through.  If it doesn't I guess tech rehearsals will get replaced with projection rehearsal ;)

Keenan Shionalyn
    Math Instructor/Drama Advisor
    Kingston WA

• 13.  RE: Microphone Frequencies in Schools

Posted 10-03-2018 10:01
    What happened to the following?

"The latest news is that the FCC has opened a proceeding that could possibly allow for organizations, including schools, using fewer than 50 wirelessmicrophones (the threshold the FCC set in 2015) to obtain a Part 74 license and therefore have access to the geolocation database and the interference protection it provides. 

This is the final step in the proceedings that we have been following for a number of years, and it is a big opportunity for theatres, school programs, and other performing arts organizations to speak up and urge the FCC to better serve users of wirelessmicrophones."

I sent a letter as requested, and that is the last I recall. From what I understood, that we would be exempt since there are less than 50 in the entire school district.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio