Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Up the Down Staircase

Posted 01-02-2017 11:24
    Has anyone produced Christopher Sergel's "Up the Down Staircase?" The script calls for a cast of 30 but I will have to double parts. What are your thoughts? I'm relatively new to high school theatre and crave your input!
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael Eggers
    Johnson County High School
    Mountain City, TN

• 2.  RE: Up the Down Staircase

Posted 01-03-2017 08:11

I have done this show twice!  It is one of my absolute favorites.  I will produce it again in the near future.  The content is so relatable, the dialogue is well done, the set with the levels works so well.  I will say that doubling is possible with some of the smaller parts - the support teachers, the nurse, possibly the principal.  The role of Helen is very small, but necessary.  She is only on in the very beginning and the very end, so she could be the school nurse or the counselor.  The last time I did the show, I was four kids short, so I went recruiting.  I got four kids who didn't usually do the spring play and begged them to do it.  But it might work.  The biggest challenge would be the large classroom scenes, where everyone is on stage at the same time. You might be able to have one actor play multiple teacher roles.   One of my favorite shows!  Good luck!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: Up the Down Staircase

Posted 01-03-2017 13:46

I've done this show before, and the kids had a lot of fun with it! It's a giant cast, but doubling is possible if you get creative. We were able to double: Helen/Woman, Lennie/Man, and Mr. Bester/Lou. The last one required some quick changes to be sure! You may be able to find some other places to double as well. I think we did it with 28 students. Good lu...er, Break a leg!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA