Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-05-2018 09:56
    Hi!

Just wondering, if you've produced/directed Zolidis' Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, have you received any kind of push-back regarding the content?  

Specifically, has anyone taken offense to the Mexicans tasting "spicy," or that a kiss between Mother Earth and Rapunzel might seem "kinky?" 

We are trying to produce it for our middle school, and the teacher directing it has brought up some of those concerns.  

Hoping I can put her mind at ease a bit-  but looking for any evidence that parents might get huffy about the content.  

I, for one, don't see any of those things as offensive, but they could be seen as micro-aggressions or the like, and clearly we do not want Middle School students to be harshly scrutinized in that respect.  

Would love a conversation.  Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you, colleagues.

------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater, Performing Arts Director
    Perkiomen School
    Pennsburg PA

• 2.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-05-2018 10:45
    Hi Jarad,
    Don Zoldis is very active on this board, I would reach out to him and discuss your questions/concerns.  He will have light to shed on the specific word choices and may offer suggestions or options other than those.  It's not very often that playwrights are so available to us "average school directors", but a few are on this board.  I'm very grateful to them for their insight.
    Best!
    Amy

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-06-2018 05:30
    My Theatre Class performed this show this past spring for our local middle school students ... and I loved the script and as a high school teacher I saw nothing wrong with the content ..... but I did get some flack from a few teachers who watched the show with the students who felt the content was inappropriate (they were upset about Hansel and Gretel's behavior) and the middle school found certain lines hilarious that I didn't even take as jokes. One in particular was when Snow White commented "what difference does it make they're all white" ... and the actress playing the part changed her inflection in performance (I was not impressed) and several people took it as a racial slur ... even though for the 6 weeks we practiced it I heard it as a flighty, spaced out girly line ... 

So, although I didn't see it until we got to performance... I can see where your colleague might have concerns. Reach out to the writer... whenever I have emailed him with questions he has always been very helpful and quick to respond.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 4.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-06-2018 11:04
    Hey there - 

In general, I let people cut specific jokes for their community. If the teacher feels uncomfortable about something, she can cut the joke. 

I understand that some things may not be appropriate for all communities. That said, the Brothers Grimm has been produced by hundreds of middle schools and several thousand high schools, so it doesn't seem to cause too much controversy.

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 5.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-19-2018 11:57
    Hey Don!

Look a real live Playwright who some of our group have directed his shows! So cool; I’m star struck!

I know that Louis Januzzi is also a member of this forum; some of us have done his “Exhibit This” and “All the Kings Women” (Samuel French). It’s so great to have them respond to us personally!!

I love both playwrights work!!

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 12-12-2018 21:48
    I must agree!  I did it as part of our One Act festival and my student body is 75% Hispanic.  They thought it was hilarious...

Paul Hengels
    Drama Teacher
    Waukegan High School
    Round Lake IL

• 7.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 11-19-2018 09:54
    We are auditioning for Mirror Image (Pioneer) in 2 weeks. Cinderella’s stepsisters are mean but I don’t anticipate any backlash

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone