Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pippin

Posted 05-18-2018 12:05
    Hello Theatre lovers!
    I am working on setting up our season for next year and thinking about Pippin. I am  reaching out to see who has done it and what the response was from the audience and cast. How did it sell? How did the kids like/dislike it? Set, costume, technical issues to be aware of? Is it  one that you would recommend?
    Thank you!!

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: Pippin

Posted 05-18-2018 12:22
    One of my favorite things that I've directed. The kids LOVED it and it was a big seller. We had some cheerleaders that year, so we did some stunts and lifts. We had a mini trampoline onstage and rented aerial silks because we had done a workshop on them in Philadelphia. We tamed down the choreography in the "orgy" scene to make it teasing and kind of funny, and we didn't get push back from anything. Just make sure you have an amazing candidate for the leading player, but that role can be filled by either a man or a woman, which is cool.

You can also go pretty low budget with costumes and set because of the nature of the show. Ours was just platforms and paint (except for the silks), plus the most colorful and mixed up costumes I could pull from the closet.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Pippin

Posted 05-19-2018 21:19
    I even divided the leading player part. 1 female and 1 male.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 4.  RE: Pippin

Posted 05-19-2018 12:22
    Months ago you asked about Cyrano and I mentioned that I was seeing this Play-scripts version. My report is: cute script, pieces of old fashion familiar love songs was a hoot, definitely worth a look. Downside for me: only 4 leads & 3 supporting roles then only very small roles for others

Maria Stadtmueller

Sent from my iPhone