Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Once on This Island – Casting Breakdown

Posted 10-08-2020 07:12
    No, this thread is not about the racial makeup of casting this show. With my school in Kenya, I am excited to see what strong connection we can make between this fictional Caribbean island and Kenya's cultures and colonial history. 

What I am looking for now is any advice re: the script's double-casting of named roles and storytellers. This works well for a smaller cast, certainly for the professional production. If you've done the show, for larger school casts, what did you do? Did you just add a larger chorus to the storyteller crew? Did you separate all double-casting and have an entirely different group do all the storytelling? I'd be interested to hear how various productions handled this and it went for you. 

Thanks,  
    Steven

------------------------------
    Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Once on This Island – Casting Breakdown

Posted 10-09-2020 08:31
    I did the Junior version, but I used separate story tellers and added a small children's chorus because we are a k-8 school.  They exited prior to the hurricane and came back in the end.  I also used a small ensemble of percussionist, that added some rhythms throughout various parts.  They remained on the stage until Ti Moune went to Daniel.  I also used an expanded ensemble in the village and a separate ensemble of Beaux Hommes, to accommodate the casting of more students.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein