Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-23-2019 17:59
    I was hoping to do Urinetown for my musical next year because we will be performing in late April, just a couple days after Earth Day, using the obvious tie-in of environmental concerns. However, my administration said "no" because...well...it has a "bad word" right there in the title. So... Does anyone have any suggestions for a musical concerning ecology or the environment?

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------
    Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus IN

• 2.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 05:34
    Do they teach health classes the r e at your school?

You could look at zombie prom.

• 3.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 07-23-2019 02:04
    @Mark A. Zimmerman
    Pioneer has a version of Urinetown called Dirty Laundry.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 07:23
    Urine is a bad word???
    Good Lord! Now I've heard it all! 

--
    Ms. Hillman
    Director of the CAPA Program/Acting Teacher
    Churchill High School
    Livonia, MI

• 5.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 08:19
    I have a fun story about being denied doing Urinetown. For years my deparment head shot it down because of the title and my program director said the pit would be too small, we have a student pit. So we were planning to do Thoroughly Modern Millie (you can make your arguments either way, but the me of now would never dare try to produce it) and controversy made front page of The Boston Globe about a production in a nearby town on the day of callbacks (with another two days of front page editorials about it)

Deciding it wasn't worth the fight, I had a meeting with my department head and headmaster where we decided to do change the shows and I got to drop this line. "If we are going to change shows, we have to have auditions next week or we will never be ready in time. The only show I know well enough to do that is Urinetown" Needless to say Urinetown maybe my department head's favorite musical I have done at the school. 

"

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 08:55
    It's a good thing they didn't name it P*ssburgh. 

As for the OP, Suessical kinda touches on the environment.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 7.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 11:28
    Hi Kevin,

We had the same problem with Urinetown at our school, I never knew that urine was a bad word.(??)  Nonetheless, about fifteen years ago I saw a children's production of "The Lorax."  It had good production values, comedy, music and, of course, a good environmental message.  I do not know if it was a published musical or something done for Earth Day.  You might want to do a bit of investigation.  It was done in Burbank, CA.

Best,

Mack

Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    GUSD
    Glendale CA

• 8.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-25-2019 11:00
    The Lorax is licenseable through MTI.  It is great!

Jennifer Hemme
    Henderson NV

• 9.  RE: Musical about the Environment

Posted 05-24-2019 12:24

Having done the show as well as others that are truly controversial, when challenged, I have given the powers-that-be the script to read.  Urinetown itself, mocks the title in the very beginning but from then on, it's a great show to teach aspects of theatre as well as environmental issues.  It's truly thought provoking.  Deciding who are the "heroes" by the end of the show is enlightening relative to today's politics. 

When either issues, language, or sex  were the challenging issues, I went to the middle school librarian of my district and asked for a list of books on the shelves that have vulgar language, descriptions of sexuality, or the issue under discussion.  She handed me a long list which I took to administration and sent to the BOE saying "These are books that are available to every student in the district."  I then made the point that a theatre production is attended by people who have purchased tickets.  If parents don't wish their children to see a show because of storyline or language, they have that option.  I also had a director of Fine Arts who felt that in today's world parents can "google" and research anything so as to determine the worth of attending a performance.  When the question of how you prevent an elementary school student attending a particular show, I've put a recommendation of all posters sharing the there is "Strong Language, or Mature Content."

Some of the controversial productions I've directed:

Sweeney Todd (challenge-violence, my rebuttal, theme "vengeance is self-destruction)

Rent

And Then They Came for Me: Remembering the World of Anne Frank

The Laramie Project

26 Pebbles (a 'moments' kind of play about the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10