Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Video Camera

Posted 02-16-2019 07:38
    We've received a sizable grant to purchase a very good quality video camera for our PAC. We want to use it to live stream and take excellent recordings of our productions, lectures, and performances.

Any suggestions on where to start our research?

--
    Dr. Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Bowling Green High School
    Teacher/Drama Director
    419-3540-1011 ext. 1117
    High School Theatre Transforms Lives!

• 2.  RE: Video Camera

Posted 02-16-2019 22:26
    Look for a camera with an SDI output. Most high end external encoders will want this type of connection, which is itself a great point: try to use an external encoder and NOT a camera with one built-in. Do you know where you're going to stream? YouTube?

------------------------------
    James L Jones

• 3.  RE: Video Camera

Posted 02-18-2019 12:31
    Is it legal to live stream theatrical productions without express written consent? I thought it was in the licensing contracts that specifically says that audio and video is strictly prohibited.

Ron Obringer
    North Tonawanda NY

• 4.  RE: Video Camera

Posted 02-18-2019 13:59

It is not legal according to most contracts (unless you pay an absurdly large fee to do so). However, band and choir concerts, and school awards ceremonies are all usually fair game. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 5.  RE: Video Camera

Posted 02-18-2019 16:07
    That's an important question! We wouldn't stream anything we don't have permission to stream. Often, though, special guests give talks for our community in our PAC;  that's what we are primarily interested in streaming.

Reminding everyone in our school district about the copyright issues related to streaming is a great point - thanks!

--
    Dr. Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Bowling Green High School
    Teacher/Drama Director
    419-3540-1011 ext. 1117
    High School Theatre Transforms Lives!

• 6.  RE: Video Camera

Posted 03-06-2019 14:08

to purchase a very good quality video camera for our PAC
    Jo Beth Gonzalez,  02-16-2019 07:38
    Jo Beth,

I would be happy to make a recommendation for you, but I would need a little more information from you. Not only am I involved in theatre but I am also a professional freelance videographer. The cost of a camera of what I consider "very good" quality might blow your mind as well as your budget!

You also need to remember that not only do you need a camera, but you need a good video (fluid head) tripod, an encoder and an assortment of cables to make it all work!

Please feel free to email me if you would prefer to not give numbers out publicly. I am happy to help.
    ken@kensummerall.com

Ken Summerall
    Lexington SC