Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-01-2019 08:14
    Considering doing Little Shop next year. Anyone have design/construction ideas for the Audrey II, or have one for sale that you've used in the past? Know any good sites to read about "how to"? Thanks. 

--
    Mark Dobbs
    Fairview High School
    12 English, 12 AP English, Theatre
    "Cultivating Growth in Every Student"

• 2.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-02-2019 11:35
    Hi, Mark--

YAY, "Little Shop..."! 

Feel free to pop off a quick note to me via arettabaumgartner@puppet.org, letting me know in what part of the country Fairview High School is located.  I keep a list of Audrey puppet possibilities and there just might be some in your area on that list.  I can also e-mail you some possible plans, designs, inspiration.

Best wishes,
    Aretta

------------------------------
    Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta, GA
    www.puppet.org
    arettabaumgartner@puppet.org

• 3.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-02-2019 12:27
    Just closed this show actually. It's a lot of fun. I applied for a grant through our district's alumni foundation and was given the money. I highly encourage going that direction, because it is an additional cost above and beyond what you normally budget for (I also hired a puppet artist that knew what they were doing to guide my students in its construction).

As for a how-to- MTI offers the designs for the original puppets as part of your rehearsal materials. You can request a copy sent to you early so you can get started before the standard 2 month rehearsal period. There's 4 Audrey stages in the designs but you can get by with 3. 

We made our smaller 2 Audreys out of foam, a bit of cardboard and fabric. The larger two were made with a PVC skeleton covered over with foam and fabric. They came out light-weight (for the most part) and awesome. For the largest one, we basically just created a giant plant head that laid on the ground. We created a "slide" for inside the mouth that had steel poles sticking up about 5 feet high. Then on top of those was a piece of wood that acted as a fulcrum to set the top of the mouth on. The bottom jaw was secured lower down on the poles and the mouth opened and closed by an operator at the back making a scissor motion with the two pieces. It worked great. I attached some pictures.

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 4.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-02-2019 12:44
    Thank you. The pictures look very cool. Looks like you knocked it out of the park. I saw that there were instructions from MTI, but you never know how useful they'll be. 

• 5.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-03-2019 17:26
    Hi Mark,
    I own the Audrey II set in Indianapolis. if you're close enough I can rent to you. 

Thanks,
    Nathan

Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    Indianapolis IN

• 6.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-04-2019 11:11
    We are in Alabama, but I've driven to Indianapolis before. Not a deal breaker. Do you have photos? How much are we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-05-2019 00:02
    Loved this show. None of the current guides prepare you for building the puppets though. We made ours, but I'm a seamstress, my husband a painter and my dad is a welder.... even then it was a struggle.

Cassandra Shott-Hammond
    Teacher
    Nuevo CA

• 8.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 05-06-2019 14:55
    We have the plants available for rent and are located in Kansas City. 
    (multiple sizes, lots of mini plants and TONS of vines)
    Call or email for more info and more pics if needed: 816-316-7465 or kellym@hickmanmills.org

Kelly Michale
    Kansas City MO