Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  American Idiot

Posted 08-28-2019 12:11
    Has anyone ever done American Idiot at the High school level. If so, what were your thoughts and reactions about the production? Feedback from community? was there much editing that needed to be done?

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: American Idiot

Posted 08-29-2019 22:23
    We performed GREEN DAY'S AMERICAN IDIOT at Shorewood High School in Wisconsin about five years ago. It was a blast to produce. Our actors, technicians, and costumers loved it. Our community had our back at about a 98% level. The main criticism that we encountered (minor in nature) was the belief by some that the musical is misogynistic and that the female characters are weak. On the contrary I say. The females are the ones who make the strong choices: to raise a child alone after being abandoned, to make the difficult decision to leave a dead end life of drug abuse, to support a loved one who is engulfed in the depths of depression. The themes are real, valid, relevant still, and personal to many teenagers. Also, many an adult told me afterword that they are now fans of all of Green Day's music. We did it with the flying sequences similar to the Broadway production...also a lot of fun. Ours was unedited because, well, plays and musicals should be performed unedited (both for artistic and legal reasons). James...if you want more information, please feel free to email me. Break a leg!

Joe King
    Theatre Director
    School District of Shorewood
    Shorewood WI