Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-19-2021 11:55
    We're going to be producing a series of radio plays in the spring, and are planning on recording (and/or producing live) as many sound effects ourselves as we can. Any tips from folks who have done this before? What kind of microphone or other recording equipment did you use? Inexpensive is always better, or course! ;-) Thanks for your insight!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton (he/him)
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School

• 2.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-20-2021 06:16
    I attended a presentation on this in the past, there is a group out of the Des Moines Community Playhouse(Iowa) that presented the workshop, I recommend reaching out to the Des Moines Playhouse to speak with their people

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-20-2021 10:55
    I was only an assistant to our director who did all the editing but we used iphones and they worked great. Make sure you use the most recent models. 

Kelly 

Suessical ~ the musical
    Mount Saint Dominic Academy
    Theatre Arts
    March 3-7,  2021

• 4.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-21-2021 08:32
    I have done several plays with Foley work. I have always done it live on stage with the audience watching. I have many percussion instruments that we use. I have a small table top door to open and close and knock upon. I have used corn flakes with shoes crunching on them for snow. There is a thunder tube you can buy, that makes great thunder sounds. Some have had to be recorded and played on tape (I hate to do that because it strips away the magic. You can look up how they created radio sound effects and you will find a whole world waiting to be explored.

Every audience that has seen this has been amazed.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled (Socially distanced of course)

Kelly Thomas

Poteet High School

• 5.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-22-2021 15:06
    Under different circumstances I absolutely would do it in full view of the audience. With our current situation, everyone will be remote: actors, tech, Foley, and audience, so we cannot.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School

• 6.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-23-2021 06:36
    If you are doing this all online, why not have someone do the sound on zoom, they can find the effects online then run them as they would sound during a production have the computer output to the mic input on zoom and join the meeting

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-23-2021 13:24
    @Jerry Onik That's pretty much the plan, I was just wondering if there was a good mic setup that was better than my computer mic.​

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School

• 8.  RE: Foley and Sound Effects Recording Equipment

Posted 03-23-2021 16:57

Most decent external mics like a Shure SM57, Shure SM58, etc. would be better than your built in computer mic. If you had a simple external sound interface, a mic, mic stand, and cable, you would have a decent set up. And, as a bonus, you have a decent recording set up for future use. Focusrite, Presonus, Tascam and others all make nice external interfaces that are cost effective and easy to use.  

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager