Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  International Thespian Society

Posted 02-23-2017 09:31
    I'm considering starting this at our school and wondered if anyone could speak to the program, the obligations of the troupe director, time commitment, value, etc. Would love to get insight.

------------------------------
    Christina Kemmerer
    Brooklandville MD

• 2.  RE: International Thespian Society

Posted 02-23-2017 10:12
    It's a great organization to have on campus. I'd definitely recommend it. :^)

Here's a few examples of time commitment and value:

- you'll need to arrange all of the normal paperwork your school requires for a club. If funds are tight to start with, you could ask your admin to cover the cost of the basic budge for the first year (dues, membership roll, etc)
    - We have 2 weekly meetings for the club (about 30 minutes each) - one for the officers and one for the club as a whole
    - ITS sponsors field trips each semester to see live theatre 
    - Our main stage productions and our competitions are all sponsored by this
       - this has actually been really nice. We allowed allowed school credit cards in our district and, after I get official approvals for using the funds (at the meetings), I'm able to go to local costume shops and get specific items...               - costumes, props, make-up, etc using the card. It's frequently a lot easier than ordering online and some               of the stores give me discounts for being a teacher :^)
    - Seniors earn graduation honors and are allowed to walk with them (check this out with your admin though... some schools don't let you)
       - these are presented at our annual Season Announcement, Graduation Honors and Awards night. It's always emotional for the seniors and the rest of the club always comes out to see the seniors receive their graduation honors because I do the announcement on the same night. I've also found parents are more supportive (for the most part) because their children are able to earn those honors and this has helped several of them receive scholarships... not to mention I force each senior to stand at the front of the stage after receiving the honors so mom and dad can have a photo op ;^)
    - We have forever plaques in our front office for any students who receive National or International Honors
       - these are announced at the Awards night

Although there are definitely time commitments to doing this, once you get off the ground you won't find them too difficult to integrate into what you are already doing. It just gives a legitimacy to your work that looks good to everyone else...

I've been at my current school for nearly a decade. I had a lot of revamping to make ITS work on my campus but, now that it's really organized, I don't have that much I have to do. The students are responsible for running the club meetings, organizing fundraisers, deciding on use of the funds and the president and vice president choose the club members who are recognized for their work in the club that year (most improved - male and female, most dedicated - male and female, the tech award, the mvp award and one class recognition award (for each grade level); minus 2 special awards that they do not discover until the end of the night (veteran awards (4 years in theatre) and what we call the "Grandma Schwartz Award" - which goes to the person who is the best representation of being a thespian for the entire time they are part of ITS - and is an original hand sewn teddy bear that reflects that students' most iconic and memorable moment as a member of the club).

Hope this helps!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: International Thespian Society

Posted 02-27-2017 08:45
    Hi Christina. I'm happy you're considering chartering a troupe at your school. When your students earn the right of induction into an international honor society, it can do a lot to elevate your program's stature and grow support too.

If you've done shows for at least two years, you likely already have students who have earned enough points for induction. You can consider all their past high school work to calculate points. You can award a point for every 10 hours of quality work so any student you know has put in at least 100 hours to date is eligible for induction and you can begin the charter process. That's the "cliff's notes" version of getting started. 

Shira is correct with her comments and guidance. Choose Thespian officers and help them own and run the majority of the troupe activity and work. You'll be developing leadership skills in those students and better preparing them for their future without needing to carry a bigger workload for yourself.

Here's the link to the "Why Join?" page of the ITS website. It has a lot of helpful information for anyone considering having a troupe. From there you can choose high school teacher in the menu bar and get access to the handbook (the place you can find just about any answer for troupe-related topics), and the point system guidelines. Why Join? - International Thespian Society 

The "Activate" links will help you get everything ready, like student contact information, so the charter process will go smoothly. Everything can be done online.

Please feel free to reach out to the national office anytime by calling or emailing info@schooltheatre.org. The service center team is happy to help with anything you need. 

When you induct students into ITS, they'll remember their induction for the rest of their lives. The pride, confidence, motivation, and confirmation that you give them will enrich them and your program. 

Do let us know if we can help. You and your students are why we're here.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH