Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-19-2020 16:48

Who has done Mamma Mia as a high school show? Any issues?

Rob A Juergens

8th Grade Social Studies/Language Arts

WHS Musical and One Act Director

• 2.  RE: Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-20-2020 13:21
    Thanks for asking this question. I look forward to reading the answers and would like to piggy back on your question with two of my own regarding Mamma Mia: 1. Has anybody done it in a small black box? 2. What is the theme of the play beyond "life is short, let's party"? Ha ha. I'm sure there's more to it than that, something about "family" being the people who surround you and love you. But I'd like to hear someone else articulate it. I haven't read the script, and it's been years since I've seen the show. Thanks again.

------------------------------
    Shanda Bonn
    Theatre Teacher
    Simi Valley CA

• 3.  RE: Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-21-2020 08:55
    We are working on it now. You have a lot of approaches, empowering women, non-traditional family, family comes in different forms, and the strength of friends. And of course "lets dance and have fun!!"

Steven Arrigoitia
    Teacher, Middle School Musical Director/Schoreographer
    Lyndhurst Board of Education
    Dumont NJ

• 4.  RE: Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-22-2020 05:40
    I had wanted to do it at the high school level when it first came out and then after discussing it with my music director and watching a former student in the show at the college level, I realized, no matter how much I like the show, it probably wouldn’t work for us.

A couple things to consider... the female lead is a very vocally challenging part ... there is a lot of music and she sings alone most of the time. And, in the script, it really doesn’t give ideas for what is meant to be happening. In the movie version there is a lot of movement and dancing around the island during those songs. If your stage/set isn’t big enough then they could turn into long scenes of standing around.

Also ... the main story line is a woman who had sex with three men in close enough proximity that she doesn’t know who the father of her child is. I’ve always kind of ignored that aspect of the show because the rest of the music and costumes and dancing are so fun ... but depending on your community there could be some opposition to teenagers portraying such situations.

And lastly, again after seeing a university teamed up with community theatre do the show, I think most high school boys would struggle to play the dads ... without looking and sounding silly ... but maybe you all have more mature male actors than I have right now lol.

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-23-2020 20:30
    We are doing in right now.  No issues at all - it's full of joy and features connections between a variety of characters.  Many characters get to sing solos and/or duets - so it's suited well for high schools - and the music is easy to learn.

We are doing it in a black box - it's totally doable!  You do not need much for a set, and the background can easily be suggested. Some chairs, benches, bed, a vanity.

The costumes are a blast!

Go for it ...... the winner takes it all!

[Becky Beth [Benedict]
    [Theater Teacher, Director & Arts Dept Chair]
    [The MacDuffie School
    [Granby] [MA]

• 6.  RE: Mamma Mia?

Posted 01-21-2020 08:03
    I directed Mamma Mia! last year for my local community theatre, and it sold out every show.  Mamma Mia! is a big, fun, entertaining show that is much too big for a black box show.  Before considering it for your high school, think carefully about your budget and ability to costume.  Much of the pop for Mamma Mia! is in the costuming. Also consider your casting ability.  This show requires several talented males to be able to pull it off.

Karen Crispin
    West Terre Haute IN