Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dracula

Posted 12-19-2016 10:23

I'm beginning to plan next year's season, and I'm thinking about Dracula for the fall. Does anyone have suggestions for an engaging, tight, high school appropriate stage adaptation of this classic horror story? I need a full length production. Any size cast can be considered.

Thanks in advance. This is a great network of support and advice.

Rich

------------------------------
    Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 2.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-19-2016 11:05

William McNulty has a good version through Playscripts. We did it about 5-6 years ago and had a really good response

https://www.playscripts.com/play/1512

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-22-2016 10:17
    We did it seven years ago. People still talk about the production. McNulty's script is a good one. We also did a haunted house and spooky carnival before the production. Three issues- 1: blood we used a more expensive fake blood that was washable (use hot water and bleach) 2: Fire throwing ( get the fire throwers from reliable source and practice with them) 3: Know your community- many especial Bible belters don't understand that Dracula is really about good and evil and not about getting people to join "devil" cults.

You find the kids will really get behind it.

Break a leg!

• 4.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-20-2016 06:35

I remember liking Steven Dietz's version when I read it years ago. What's great about the novel is that it's all letters and journals and ships logs. What's scary is that you're often put in the position of knowing—or suspecting—more than the characters. The Dietz version keeps much of that conceit, which I thought was fun.

To reiterate, I only read it. I didn't see it.

I just checked: it's nine characters assuming you use two Brides of Dracula. You can apparently use more. 

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 5.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-20-2016 08:42

We did "Nosferatu: The Legend of Dracula" by L. Don Swarz 6 or 7 years ago and everyone really enjoyed it. I definitely recommend it!

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 6.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-20-2016 09:54
    Steven Dietz wrote a fantastic version. I produced it several years ago and am preparing to do it again in the fall. I teach in a very conservative community but the show sold out before it opened and was very well received. It's available through Dramatists.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-20-2016 13:11
    I had good luck with Ted TIller's Count Dracula from Samuel French. If you've got a good tech team it's a real treat because the show is filled with audience pleasing low tech special effects that are fun to rig and execute. The script details how to do them all and if you give yourself plenty of tech time (as much as a musical) working backstage on this show can be as much fun as being in the cast. The emphasis of this is on comedy but it still have a few good scares, and it provides a second strong female role (a character role) which many versions of Dracula do not.  I played it dead-serious camp, like a Hammer Studios Christopher Lee movie and it worked great.

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 8.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-20-2016 23:49

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

It's a classic murder mystery adapted from the novel, filled with suspense, and keeps the audience guessing. I did it my sophomore year and that was one of the most fun shows to ever be apart of. Cast is about 5 guys 6 girls. A lot of cool things can be done acting and tech wise. Here are some pictures of the set and poster. Dracula is good to, but this is a personal favorite of mine.

Drake Dalgleish

• 9.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-21-2016 11:38

We did the Deitz script this past Fall (over Halloween weekend). It was a good challenge for my actors. Script gets a little wordy from time to time. Had to change the estate mentioned in Act II from "Carfax" to another British estate, for obvious reasons. There is a shorter version online that Deitz wrote for a college, from what I could tell, with all characters female...hmmmm. I cast VanHelsing as a woman and it worked just fine. The script is very episodic, with rapid scene shifts requiring an open or unit set. We had Halloween tie-ins: blood drive, come in costume get a $1 discount, pictures with Dracula on set after the show. Biggest prop challenge was the blood transfusion device. Oh, and I used 5 Vixen dancers.

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Drama Teacher]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]

• 10.  RE: Dracula

Posted 12-22-2016 09:25
    I second Dietz' Dracula. I worked on it in college as an assistant director to a professor and it was very rewarding.

Tori

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Artistic Director- NKHS Trojan Theatre, Kent England Partnership Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski