Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre/Dance credentials in California?

Posted 02-18-2019 15:23
    Does anyone know of a college in Southern California that offers a credential program in theatre and/or dance? Legislation was passed for these two years ago, but I have not found a school that offers one.

• 2.  RE: Theatre/Dance credentials in California?

Posted 02-19-2019 22:19
      |   view attached
    Hi Jodi,

Slow down lady. You're thinking like a theatre educator and not a bureaucrat!

Passage of SB 916 was the first of many steps to a theatre and dance credential in California. College and universities are working to plan out their course of study, while the Commission on Teacher Credentialing is doing their part figuring out the needs of this credential, and what to do with the current theatre teachers. 

Members from the CA Educational Theatre Association and the California Dance Education Association are keeping in touch with the different parties-and each other-to stay up to date on the latest news. 

We've created an information sheet with answers to the most often asked questions. I've attached it here. After passage of SB 916 (Fall of 2016) we were told it would be approximately four years until the actual credential would be available in hand.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have further questions.

------------------------------
    Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, Past President
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA
    ------------------------------