Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie- Play Rights

Posted 08-23-2017 11:37
    Hi!

I am the Assistant of the Drama Program and the Director asked me to look into amateur rights for Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. 

Does anyone know where I would acquire these rights? I looked on Samuel French and the play wasn't listed.

Thank you!

--
    Best Regards,

Alexandra Laks
    HAFTR High School
    Main Office/Attendance Coordinator
    635 Central Avenue, Cedarhurst, NY 11516
    (516) 569-3370

• 2.  RE: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie- Play Rights

Posted 08-24-2017 03:22

Samuel French has many plays, but they are not, at least in my mind, a substitute for a good Google search, as there are many other publishers out there. I'd look for the title in quotes and then "play" or "stage" and "play" together. In this case, I keep getting references to the Ken Ludwig version, which seems brand new and therefore not likely to be published (and also probably restricted). It may be that it hasn't been adapted until now, and this is the one version.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

------------------------------
    Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie- Play Rights

Posted 08-25-2017 14:35
    Ludwig's version just had its world premiere, so it probably won't be available for a while.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie- Play Rights

Posted 08-26-2017 22:02

Hi Alexandra - 

I'm pretty sure the rights to not exist. Not all of Agatha Christie's works have been adapted for the stage and unless she adapted it herself (which I know she did not) or the estate approved somebody else adapting it (which I don't believe is the case) no such adaptation exists. 

Take a look at Murder on the Nile perhaps? It's a similar piece with suspects trapped on a luxurious mode of transportation in an exotic locale, and it's available through Samuel French. Mrs. Christie adapted it herself. 

John Monteverde
    Theater Instructor
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA