Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  For Drama teachers in Elementary School always looking for "Musicals: Really Rosie"

Posted 08-02-2017 21:39
    I often read posts of Elementary and Middle School teachers looking for musicals that are both appropriate and manageable. I just attended a staging of a little known gem, Really Rosie, at New York City Center. This musical was written by author Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are), with music by Carole King. The show runs approximately one hour and is a perfect vehicle to showcase the varying talents of your group of students. I would suggest this show for performers up to 6th Grade, but a it could work as a Middle School production. It utilizes contemporary costumes and a minimal unit set, so it's an affordable option for schools with a low or no Theatre budget. The show is more of a review of Sendak's works as the script really serves to set up the songs rather than the songs furthering the story, but it is a perfect canvas for a creative group of students looking to create and develop characters. Really Rosie is published and licensed through Samuel French. If you're still looking for a musical for the upcoming school year, this show might be worth considering.
    Really Rosie
    ------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 2.  RE: For Drama teachers in Elementary School always looking for "Musicals: Really Rosie"

Posted 08-03-2017 10:36
    If you are looking for elementary and middle school musicals, look into beat by beat press. They have some fantastic shows for kids to perform. They have the rehearsal and performance tracks. We staged WE ARE MONSTERS and it was really successful.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

• 3.  RE: For Drama teachers in Elementary School always looking for "Musicals: Really Rosie"

Posted 08-03-2017 23:41
    I have loved Really Rosie since I was a child! It was made into a cartoon and shown at a holiday, I believe. 
    The music for it is available in I tunes and google play music. I am sure other forums as well. I did the show a couple of years ago and it was fantastic for all the students! 
    Thank you for bringing it up! 

Jennifer Sheldrake
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Linfield Fine Arts Academy
    Temecula, California