Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-05-2018 16:22
    Hello!
    Looking at West Side Story for my musical next year, HS level. I've gathered that the orchestral arrangement is very difficult and we might be better off with tracks. I also know choreo is a feat. What other challenges does this show present for high schoolers? Is a lack of diversity a deal breaker? Any advice is appreciated!

------------------------------
    Kayla Diaz
    Castle Rock CO

• 2.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-06-2018 08:02
    Did you also ask this in a FB group?

The lack of diversity is now a non-starter for this show. If you don't have it, don't do it.

The score is extremely difficult for a student orchestra. We did the show once many years ago. We were forced to schedule a number of emergency orchestra rehearsals in order to pull it all together. For myself, I cannot see using tracks for this show -- or any show. But I can see how others are in a different situation and may choose to do so.

I love the show but it is problematic. There are probably better choices for your students.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-06-2018 16:07
    I did ask on FB too, yes.
    Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it!

Kayla Diaz
    Castle Rock CO

• 4.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-06-2018 14:40

Do the show...it's a classic and a worthwhile learning experience.

Yes ,the orchestra parts are beyond most high school musicians.  Tracks or professionals sitting alongside students would be possible solutions.  If the program is a theatre program producing the show, then I don't see the obligation to use only student musicians.  The actors need and deserve the strongest pit possible.  If this is a music department production, then I understand the difficulty of the score being a relevant factor and would suggest you truthfully assess the abilities of the instrumental musicians.  I've worked in both situations and therefore my criteria for show selection varies.

Diversity of student body doesn't have to be a factor.  I've directed RAGTIME with only 1 African-American in the cast even though the cast is 1/3 African-Americans, 1/3 White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, and 1/3 Jewish Immigrants.  How did I do this? Each group was color coded, Africans-Red, WASPs-White, Immigrants-BLUE.  Costumes or lighting were the "colorizers" (not sure if this is even a word).  In theatre, your first 10 minutes of a show sets the "beliefs" the show demands before it's plot unfolds and the 9-minute Prologue allowed me to establish the "color" scheme.  (It makes a wonderful ending of the show when the new, integrated family involves the blending of Red, White, and Blue, a connection with America's flag.)  When seeing a performance of 110 In the Shade on Broadway a number of years ago, the suspension of ethnic casting was unnoticed (involving Audra McDonald ).  

I've done the show twice, one time in a 19-day summer program (including auditions and tech rehearsals) with a minimal set and in a community blackbox theatre production.  If leads are musically skilled, then the show is not that challenging vocally and costuming shouldn't be too difficult.  Dance will push the cast, but your choreographer should aim for a "clean" less involved dances rather than "sloppy" attempts at replicating professionals.  The story can still be effectively revealed with simpler steps.

And an added plus is that your English department can use your performance as a comparative lesson with the Shakespeare original thereby building audience size

I say go for it.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 5.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-06-2018 16:09
    Great things to consider, thank you!!

Kayla Diaz
    Castle Rock CO

• 6.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-06-2018 22:46
    We did West Side about 4 years ago with great success. We do not use the tracks, and we hire many of our musicians to help with the music - especially for a show as intense as this is musically. 

Some things that I did with the cast to help them begin to sense the division in the community was many role playing type activities. For example, sharks had to enter through the back of the theatre, were given shorter breaks, etc. Although I started out with little to know conversation about this, I later had a company wide discussion about the "why?" We also made connections to current events and had open conversations about diversity. The students worked really hard and it paid off. We sold out all 4 shows.

Another teaching moment was with the language. Putting into context words like "sp**" and the historical sontext that it was derived. I also paid extra attention to the scene with all the jets and anita at Doc's. This is a powerful scene and one that needs to be treated with care. I would consider making sure that your Anita is ok with the physicality of that scene. That scene could be a trigger for her or someone she knows and therefore should be treated with respect and constant communication.

Good Luck!!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 7.  RE: West Side Story challenges?

Posted 05-08-2018 09:27
    Hi Kayla,

Could you say a little more about what you mean by "lack of diversity"?  I'm assuming you're saying you have a majority white student body, and don't have enough latinx students in your cast, but I may be wrong.

Thanks!

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY