Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Are you listening?

Posted 05-23-2018 13:48
    What are your favorite games, exercises, activities, whatever you want to call them, for getting actors to really listen to each other on stage?

------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 2.  RE: Are you listening?

Posted 05-23-2018 14:21
    I love to start class by pairing everyone up and asking each partner to listen while the other talks uninterrupted for 3 full minutes.  The rules are that the listener must remain silent cannot respond, except non-verbally.  This is not a conversation, but a chance to give their full, present, attention to their partner. The person talking has to keep talking even if they are only saying "I don't know what to say."  After 3 minutes, switch.  You can provide a prompt to get things going like, but sometimes really cool things happen if there are no guidelines except the ones I mentioned. The pairs can be randomly assigned, or you can ask the students to pick a person that they don't hang out with normally.  Sometimes I follow this up with a discussion, but it is also a great, fast activity to do every day or once a week without discussion to get in the habit of being present with each other.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Are you listening?

Posted 05-23-2018 14:21
      |   view attached
    I like these: 
    OPERATIVES/ THE WHISPER GAME:
    Part A:
    Actors are instructed to sit back to back. They are instructed to "whisper" their lines as
    though in a crowded room and fearful of being overheard; yet they MUST communicate
    the message of their lines to each other. After the exercise is finished they are
    encouraged to look at the words that have carried the weight of their intent. (They are
    especially encouraged to look at the importance of the final words in their lines!
    As young actors we frequently drop pitch and emphasis of the all-important last lines and
    the natural "lift" that occurs when they really seek to communicate meaning.) I have also
    heard of using this exercise as though they are in a crowded stadium and must shout out
    their lines to be heard to find the operatives.

REVERSE ROLES:
    This is a great way to open up a problematic scene. After reversing roles, the actors are
    encouraged to tell their partner what they found most useful in their characterization.
    This is not to be confused with an actor directing another actor. The dialogue should be
    constructive and about the behavior or vocal work that most affected them during the
    scene.

And my VERY favorite ("What Did You Say?") is from an old book called Let the Part Play You. I'm attaching it. Sorry for the funky formatting, I had to screen shot it from my pdf.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

Attachment(s)

docx
    What Did You Say.docx   119 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Are you listening?

Posted 05-27-2018 09:16
    Thank <g class="gr_ gr_5 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="5" data-gr-id="5">y'all</g>! These are great. 

Keep em coming!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA