Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-24-2019 06:55
    I'm looking to produce A Midsummer Night's Dream next year, but I'm not sure what version might be a good one to do. Have any of you found a version you particularly like? I just can't see doing the entire show, in it's original format, at our school.
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO

• 2.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-25-2019 08:57
    So cool you're doing this!!

There are several shorter versions, including a 40-minute version called "The Interlude" from Samuel French.  It focuses almost exclusively on the Mechanicals' rehearsal and performance of the play-within-the-play of "Pyramus and Thisby."  There's another version that focuses on the lovers by Henry Thomas https://shop.samuelfrench.com/content/samples/113935/6066.pdf
    Samuelfrench remove preview
    View this on Samuelfrench >

In both, there are other characters as well.  Roles for about a dozen actors in each.  The best part: several (but not all) of the characters and can be gender-neutral.
    Both of these versions keep Shakespeare's language.  There are other versions, but many modernize the language (I even found one that called itself a "translation"!!).  Of course, such versions can be useful.  In any event, I applaud your willingness to include Shakespeare performance in your program.  

I'm currently adapting the original to a shorter one-hour version for competition (ah, the joys of using a royalty-free, public domain script!).
    Break a leg.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-26-2019 10:18
    Hurray that you are doing Shakespeare.  I have staged the full length twice with high school students (a mix of experiences and just raw talent).  One we set in a Middle Ages fairytale wood and one we set in the Raj period of British Colonial India.  The kids (seasoned and newbies) were very engaged with something to sink their teeth into.  Of course there are tons of concepts to pull from and you can make it your own.  In terms of  a one-act, I couldn't find one true to the language, so I adapted it that ran 44 - 50 minuets --- set  it in Victorian England.  It eliminated the mechanicals except for Bottom.  Served the kids and worked well in competition.

Whichever route you end up on, kudos to you for bringing this rich work to your kids!

--

Paula Y. Flautt

Artistic Director
    Christ Presbyterian Academy

Office:  (615) 301-3550

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use the more you have."  (Maya Angelou)

• 4.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-25-2019 10:17
    Hi Beth,

Are you looking for a cut version, or an adaptation? Do you want to retain the original dialogue or go for something more contemporary?
    I have always found that, if time allows, the best experience for my students comes from working together to cut the script based on some creative decisions. Here's the process that we've used: 
    Have the students read the whole play, on their own, in class, or with a combination of the two. Once that's finished, have the students write or discuss the story of the play, in part to make sure that they understood it, in part to discover what they found to be important. Then,begin a discussion about what they think the play is really about. The objective is to come up with a short, specific concept- two or three sentences at the most- not about the story but about what they want to focus on. This becomes your basis for cutting the script. As you and the class/cast work through the text, discuss whether a scene, a section, a monologue supports the concept. If so, it stays, in whole or in part. If not, it goes. Once you've gotten through the whole play, have the students read it aloud, maybe with someone from outside the class present, like another teacher or another class. This is to make sure that what you've got is coherent enough for an audience. Cast it, start rehearsing, and be willing to make changes as you go along. 
    We've gone through this for The Tempest (twice), Macbeth, The Winter's Tale, and Twelfth Night. The process seems cumbersome, but the results, both in short term and long term, are tremendous. The kids have real ownership of the production. It takes the focus off of line memorization and puts it on storytelling. And students emerge with an excellent understanding of Shakespeare's language and storytelling structure. You also have a truly original piece of theatre.

• 5.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-25-2019 11:41

Maybe give it a shot? Have faith in your kids that they'll get it? It's one of Shakespeare's shortest, most accessible plays. The fifth act, in particular, is a surefire crowd pleaser. You can always cut a few lines here and there to make it a bit simpler (public domain for the win!) 

That said, I once in acted in a play called THE RUDE MECHANICALS, from Dramatic Publishing, I believe. Essentially the story of the Rude Mechs from the play and largely cuts out the lovers. We were aiming for an audience of small children in an outdoor park, so it worked quite well. 

But man, the original is brilliant. 

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 6.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-26-2019 05:54
    I'd be happy to share my cut version with you. We did this show in the Spring. 

blackr@waylandunion.org

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 7.  RE: Midsummer Night's Dream versions

Posted 08-26-2019 10:15
    Hello! Several years ago we produced an adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream done by Ken Womble.  We found it very accessible.  Mr. Womble keeps the original language but pares it down, eliminating repeated information and cutting down the length of longer speeches (Oberon keeps some of his longer pieces, but none are extreme). It is a full length play, but definitely on the short end of full length.  It went over well with our audiences.

It is published by Eldridge Publishing Company

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO