Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Charlie Brown Christmas

Posted 11-08-2017 14:01
    Is anyone else out there doing Charlie Brown Christmas?  If so, any ideas for the appearance of ice skating in the opening scene other than using roller skates or roller blades?  Our stage is made up of separate platforms and it's like trying to skate on an uneven sidewalk--definitely not very graceful.  Any ideas at all would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Holly

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: Charlie Brown Christmas

Posted 11-09-2017 09:25
    When I was Music Director for a production of A Charlie Brown Christmas, most of the actors didn't use skates at all. The set designer created a short row of snowy bushes (a flat, maybe 6-8 inches high, across the lip of the stage) to mask the actors' feet. The actors simply mimed the motions of skating without actually moving across the stage. As I recall, Snoopy entered on rollerblades, but he was the only one. 

The show is charming and works best when it's low-tech. The audience will forgive you if you don't actually skate!

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 3.  RE: Charlie Brown Christmas

Posted 11-12-2017 07:24
      |   view attached
    We just did it this weekend. It's amazing how many kids these days don't know how to skate. I had three or four skating and the others walking on slippery ice.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 4.  RE: Charlie Brown Christmas

Posted 11-13-2017 20:47
    Hi, Holly

We are doing A Charlie Brown Christmas right down the street from you (the same weekend as you, of course!). Our choreographer has the kids simulating skating and it looks great.  I think audiences will forgive there not being "real" skating for this show.  

Pat

Patricia J. Santanello
    Educational Theatre Association - Ohio Chapter
    Co-Chapter Director
    Dublin Scioto High School
    psdirector2003@hotmail.com
    Dublin, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Charlie Brown Christmas

Posted 11-14-2017 08:47
    Hey Pat!  
    I think we are actually doing this the same weekend.  My kids actually spoke to some of yours during a choir event, to find out what you were doing!  I think that's the way we are going to go.

Break a leg!

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH