Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-08-2018 08:46
    Hey all,

I have a conundrum. I was recently put in charge of the fall play, and there are a few challenges. We need:

A modern(ish) drama
    Large cast with lots of girl parts
    Not very controversial
    Something with a mobile or minimal set since we won’t be in the auditorium until 2 weeks before the show

We have done in the last three years: Radium Girls, 12 Angry Jurors, Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, Almost, Maine, Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, and Our Town was our last show, so my principal doesn’t want another small town piece.

I cannot do the Crucible or Arabian Nights, although I love the scripts.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU,

David McGill

---------------------------------
    David McGill
    English Teacher

South Elgin IL
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-08-2018 09:49
    The Good Fight? Or would that be considered too historical  or controversial?

Metamorphoses?

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-09-2018 10:58
    Decision Height - large all female cast.

Your principal needs to trust you.  You're the one with the training for the job.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Carmichael, CA

• 4.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-09-2018 09:05
    Since you did a drama last year, you might want to try I Hate Shakespeare by Steph DeFerie (Playscripts). We did it last year. It was great fun, and the kids learned a lot about Shakespeare's plays. It is gender flexible, so Jerry Springer became Jenny Springer, and Jim Lange became Kim Lange.

Valerie Gargus
    NJ Thespians Festival Director
    Play & Thespian Troupe Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 5.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-09-2018 13:07
    ​The Children's Hour

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-10-2018 08:08
    Maybe "A Wrinkle in Time"? We had success with the adaptation by Tracy Young, but there are others too.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 7.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-10-2018 09:27
    Peter Pan is a good one to do also. 

It has room for lots of extras as either Indians or Pirates, and can be done with a predominantly female cast.  We did it a few years ago and all of the Lost Boys were played by females.

If you perform the play as if it is kids playing make believe in their bedroom it is a simple set with just a few set pieces that the performers can move around to turn into the different set pieces, such as the pirate ship, the island, or the Lost Boys dwelling.

Andrew Kidd
    Teacher
    Levy County School Board
    Chiefland FL

• 8.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-11-2018 11:46
    I have to give your principal a lot of credit. I don't think he's asking for too much and he's taking an interest. That is much better than a principal who doesn't take an interest and as soon as there's a problem it's your fault and he shuts the production down. My last principal read every script I gave him, commented on the script, and gave me a lot of feed back. He never rejected a script. His major concern was if there was controversy he was ready for it and had an answer for parent questions. CHA:  Cover His A.......

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 9.  RE: Help! Principal Wants A Lot Of Say

Posted 08-13-2018 14:25
    Since someone suggested 'I Hate Shakespeare,' there's also the really rather excellent 'Postcards from Shakespeare,' by Allison Williams, which is admittedly a one act but can be done with minimal set (quite a few props, though the sillier, the better, still fairly cheap), and is absolutely hysterical. A toy baby does get thrown around, which might be the most controversial aspect of it. 

Were you looking for a full length suggestion?

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON