Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 02-26-2017 14:39
    Anyone ever cast Donkey as a girl?  I'm just wondering because it seems like a good choice for our school but we are seriously low on boys.  Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 2.  RE: Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 02-27-2017 03:25
    I've seen it done before and it was fine, but just make sure that it is a pants role and not a "female" donkey.  There's an important male/female love interest story with the dragon.  It'll be fine if you just keep all the pronouns the same!  Good luck!

Shileah Corey
    Mountlake Terrace WA

• 3.  RE: Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 02-27-2017 07:56
    Hi, Last year the school I worked for did Shrek and cast the donkey as a female. Just like the other poster said, it was played nuetral of sorts. It wasn't put out as a female, for the relationship part, but it worked just as well. I don't really see why it can't be. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 4.  RE: Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 02-27-2017 08:03
    My donkey was played by a girl. We left all the script gender references intact, but I directed her gender-neutral (Donkey is a fairy tale animal after all). She has an amazing contralto belt so the range was only an issue in one or two places. I originally worried about the Barry White take off in "Make a Move", but sunglasses and attitude carried the day.

Janet Wood
    Drama Director
    [Columbia High School]
    [Columbia] [PA]

• 5.  RE: Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 02-27-2017 10:11
    Yep! Just cast the show with a female playing the role of Donkey. We were not specifically seeking a female to play Donkey, but were always open to the idea. The girl cast was selected because she was the candidate best equipped to handle the demands of the role (ie: comedic timing, humorous physical and facial expression, vocal delivery). It is working out swimmingly!

• 6.  RE: Shrek Donkey as a girl?

Posted 03-07-2017 08:05
    Our Donkey in last year's production of Shrek was a girl, and it worked fine. The gender didn't matter too much, since she was wearing a shaggy donkey outfit and was heavily made up; what mattered was who was best for the role in terms of comic timing and ability and all that. The range was a slight issue, but we managed to work it out. Normally we have a bunch of boys trying out and performing in our productions, but for many of them 'Shrek' was kind of a turn off. That said, even if more boys had tried out, I am super satisfied with how our casting worked out. Kept all the pronouns, and people are familiar enough with the story to look past the fact that the performer playing Donkey is a girl...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL