Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-09-2018 16:38
    Hello,

My music director and I are looking at doing Peter Pan, the original musical, but we do not have the means or space to fly actors.  So we were wondering if anyone has done this show with alternatives to actual flying.  We were thinking of maybe doing something with lights and shadows and some kind of rolling apparatus.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Ken Robinson

------------------------------
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 2.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-10-2018 04:35
    I did it is mid 1980s with the flying characters photographed in costume in flying positions surrounded by black masking.  Even had  Peter on her belly across a desk.  When it came time for flying, characters stood in spotlight by proscenium arch while power point pictures were "flown" on scrim as rear projections. 

Did the Jr. version this past summer at my summer program and had characters in constant motion moving on stage will I projected silhouetted figures being animated with various London background pictures all achieved through the PowerPoint animation window. 

Have also done it with ZFX flying my characters when I had the budget. 

It's a fun show to do do if I remember correctly, the music parts needed a lot of correction because of mistakes.  My MD had major problems but that was before the scores were computer generated.  I don't K iw how the full score comes nowadays. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 3.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-11-2018 12:12
    I did it one year with a gymnast as Peter Pan, so we had small trampolines surrounded by clouds around the stage and flooded the stage with low hanging fog/smoke machine. The actress seemed to “fly.”

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 4.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-10-2018 09:53
    I saw one of the first productions of ANGELS IN AMERICA: Millennium Approaches at the Taper in LA with the Angel (Ellen McLaughlin) pushed around the stage on a ladder with wheels. With a <g class="gr_ gr_260 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="260" data-gr-id="260">spot</g> you (almost) did not notice the contraption below her.

Annemarie Bean
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT
    abean@longtrailschool.org

• 5.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-10-2018 11:56
    I saw a small school production where Peter was came through the window with a wind effect & a mottled light effect.  Later on, the children opened their arms & run around to try flying, then the lights changed to small individual spots as each one leaped up on a chair/bed/dresser & pretended to fly in the air.   it was very effective because the timimg was just right.

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 6.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-11-2018 12:07
    Warren Wilson College outside Asheville used Heelys, those shoes with wheels in the heels.  It was absolutely magical.  This requires the kids to put on their shoes after they get out of bed, rather than running around barefooted. 

You can find them in adults sizes online.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 7.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-10-2018 15:05
    I am actually working on this right now.

The solution I came up with is similar to the Power Point Idea. If you. have the means to film and project, take POV shots of the actors on a green screen then drop in some cloud footage, etc.

For the set of the Darling home, I'm rigging in a see/saw (A la Peter and the Starcatcher) device that will allow for a floating effect when the actors are seen onstage "flying"

I'd be curious to know how you made out and what methods you used.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Membership Chairperson of the Educational Theatre Association Rhode Island Chapter
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 8.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-10-2018 16:20
    We spent money on the set and costumes rather than on rigging.  Fortunately, we had a ramp that ran the length of the stage.  The Darling house was at a platform in from of the proscenium stage left.  Peter led everyone down the ramp and through music.  It was magical and the audience LOVED it!!  (They "flew" back up the same way.)

• 9.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-12-2018 06:18
    Hey There! 

I directed Peter Pan and we made Flashlight gobos with each of the characters in flying positions. We when black out the stage and the audience- We shined the lights on the walls and they were flying while we changed the set! It was really cool!

Timothy Mathews
    Theater Teather
    Dayspring Academy
    Port Richey, FL.

• 10.  RE: Peter Pan musical without flying

Posted 08-16-2018 11:20
    I did it 5 years ago with Heelys (tennis shoes with wheels). It was wonderful. With some fun lighting and the kids selling it...I am so glad I made that choice.
    We did use a trampoline for Peter to jump up at the window as well.

Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL