Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Officer Elections

Posted 06-12-2018 14:11
    We are in the process of electing officers for next year and I have a few current freshman looking to fill positions.  Is it in the handbook that they HAVE to be sophomores and served at least one year as a thespian?  I'd prefer that to be the case, but I can't find any concrete evidence anywhere stating that.  Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Lindsay McAloney
    Troupe Director
    Vernon NJ

• 2.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-12-2018 14:49
    Different troupes may have their own constitution with different rules that govern how officers are elected and who is eligible for election. As far as I am aware, ITS only stipulates that officers be a thespian, though your own troupe constitution may say otherwise.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-12-2018 21:27
    ​Good evening,

Christ is correct. Only stipulation is that officers are members of the ITS. Are these Freshman in your troupe? Where did their points come from?

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-13-2018 07:27
    Yes, they are in the troupe.  They have taken acting and dance classes and have done community theatre, with one of them having done some OOB work.  I guess I was just looking to see what other troupes handbook say about sophomores holding officer positions.

Lindsay McAloney
    Troupe Director
    Sussex NJ

• 5.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-13-2018 11:05
    All troupes are different; however, we do sometimes have freshman on our board. We elect a board of officers once every semester, and President only once a year, but calendar year, not school year. This way we have it set up that no senior is on the board the spring of their senior year (they are crazy this time of year), and no freshman is on the board the fall of their freshman year (they usually don't have the points yet, or know the club well enough yet to speak or make decisions on the interests of the group). Our troupe is large and this offers plenty of opportunities for people to run for board, and also if they play a fall or spring sport, or do marching band,... they can simply not run for that semester but we don't miss out on them being on the board all year long as they can run the other semester. I hope that all made sense, but to answer your question yes it's fine to have freshman on your board as long as they are active members who have earned their points and been inducted (even though the official ceremony for us is at the end of the year, we consider them inducted and active when they pay dues and they get "pinned" at the induction ceremony) and of course they meet whatever requirements are in your club and school constitution and by-laws for clubs/organizations on campus.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 6.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-13-2018 14:06
    We require that at least one council member be a non-senior.  In the past, that has been a sophomore, though it wasn't last year and won't be next year.  Freshmen are allowed to run, but it's less likely that they'll be elected simply because they aren't as well known and their leadership skills aren't as evident.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR