Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digital Textbooks

Posted 02-27-2018 17:27
    Our principal has asked us to submit recommendations for digital books we would like to have for our classrooms. Any suggestions, leads, recommendations? Digital versions only. I teach high school Beginning, Intermediate, Proficient and Advanced Theatre. I would say that my strengths are acting and play production and would love digital books in that realm, but something in the technical field would be helpful as well. I get quite a few young men and women who are not especially interested in on stage work and could benefit from a better approach to tech work. 

Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Debra Hubbard
    Theatre Arts teacher
    Salisbury High School
    Salisbury NC
    hubbardpastoredj@rss.k12.nc.us

• 2.  RE: Digital Textbooks

Posted 02-28-2018 09:55
    I don't know that you are going to find any good digital theatre textbooks yet.  I've tried looking as well and am currently working to compile things to make my own that I can publish in some form or fashion.  I have quite a few technical theatre production projects with rubrics and such that I would be willing to share if you need design type work.  A lot of them are for beginning and intermediate because my advanced classes are all practicum hands on.  Let me know if you would like to discuss it further and I can give you a run down of what I have.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: Digital Textbooks

Posted 02-28-2018 10:39
    I wrote a text analysis book that is in digital format: Anatomy of a Choice: the Actor's Guide to Text Analysis. Let me know what you think.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 4.  RE: Digital Textbooks

Posted 02-28-2018 12:15

I've heard really good things about the practical Technical Theatre series, and the few video snippets I've seen are informative, if a bit stiff. 

Practical Technical Theater :: The Complete Solution for Technical Theater Classrooms

Our board is asking us to look at Drama Works! Online (1 Year Digital Access) but it just doesn't seem comprehensive enough for a 3-4 yrs high school program. I'd love more feedback on it. 

Ashley Bishop
    Director
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Digital Textbooks

Posted 03-01-2018 13:43
    You really need to look at products Practical Technical Theatre by Bob and Marti Fowler.  Their products cover Intro to Tech Theatre, Basic Set Construction and Safety, Lighting, Audio, Stage Management, Business and House Management, Costumes, and Careers.  They are currently working on 2nd Editions of most of their offerings.  All their materials match up with the National Standards.

Kurt Knoedelseder
    St Louis MO

• 6.  RE: Digital Textbooks

Posted 03-03-2018 08:43

The Practical Technical Theatre series from Marti and Bob Fowler is excellent.  Be sure to check them out before you make your decision.

Murray Mintz, Executive Director

The Florida Association for Theatre Education