Open Forum

View Only

Disabled Character

• 1.  Disabled Character

Posted 08-22-2019 15:04
    Hello community!
    I'd like to do a play that has a girl character in a wheelchair, but I do not have any students in my school who fit that description.  What is the protocol?  Obviously, I would like to and feel I should have a disabled actor play this part, but I am limited.  Suggestions?  Experience??

------------------------------
    Kenneth Gibson
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonburg VA

• 2.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-23-2019 07:27
    We are in theatre, there is no protocol, performers have played parts of others since the dawn of time. I recommend that if you do the piece you make sure the performer pays the utmost respect to the disability, I would also recommend that you send your performer out to observe the challenges in the world that effect the constraints the disability has on movement.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-23-2019 13:31
    Ditto to what Jerry said!

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten

• 4.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-23-2019 17:18
    I am going to disagree with the other posters. There is absolutely protocol and just because able-bodied folks have played wheel-chair users in the past, doesn't mean it should continue in this day and age without a lot of conversation about representation and an effort to increase representation however we can. This should be handled just as you would if you were casting a character who is written as being from a specific ethnic or racial background.  If there is no one in your school who is a wheel-chair user, extend your search to include folks in the other schools in your district or the surrounding community. Reach out to an organization that provides occupational therapy or advocacy.  If you cannot find an actor who uses a wheelchair, consider the project carefully. If you decide to cast a non-disabled actor, work closely with an advocacy organization that can answer your questions and maybe even provide an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion point person to attend some rehearsals, and make this part of the process of producing this show.   EDI issues are at the forefront of our industry and it is a great opportunity to provide your students with yet another learning experience.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 5.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-23-2019 18:20
    This gets into some real interesting questions.

Actors have traditionally been cast in terms of who is the best fit for the production: looks, personality, credibility, balance, chemistry with other actors, and so forth. As much as I'm all for wanting a wheelchair-bound actor to play a wheelchair-bound character, or an actor from a specific ethnicity to play a character from that ethnicity, I still want (as an audience member) to lose the actor within the character. I want to believe the character is who he or she is supposed to be because that's the story I'm watching. I don't want to get confused as to whether the story is, for instance, about a murder at an isolated mansion (which is what I bought a ticket for), or about diversity and inclusion because we're focusing more on the wheelchair-bound character than what's in the script..

That being said, there are some fantastic actors out there, like Jamie Brewer (from American Horror Story among others), who has Down Syndrome, and can be totally believable as her character. But she was cast because she was the best "auditioner" for the role of a young lady with Down Syndrome, not just because she has it. Jamie and her character "Addy" moved that story, as written, forward flawlessly.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-24-2019 05:24
    I agree with Elana on this point.   
    The fact Mr Gibson asked this question is showing his understanding of the change in who gets to tell the story.
    Yes, actors are magical beings that can be anything -- but when you look at the demographics of playwrights, directors, theater teachers, and such, we are  skewed to more typically represented populations.  
    So we need to look at "Why?"  Why this story?  Why for my group? Maybe it is perfect - despite this ethical conundrum.

And looking what makes the "best " actor.... this is often where our exclusions of people come in.... as educators we need to be aware of this.    It is easy to have a group get along when they all believe the same things, face similar challenges, have comparable abilities.  And if we do the "classics" the "way they were meant to be" it reinforces the message that theatre is for a blessed few.   If reaching out to marginalized populations, is there space for the non-reader, the English learner, the movement challenged, the nontraditional body type...?  Other than tree number 4....​  Do we merely tolerate difference?  Or do we weave it into what we create?

Sorry for going on, But I thank you Mr Gibson for asking this question.  The mere asking is a step into a better theatre world!!

Korreen Ditschler
    APO AP

• 7.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-24-2019 20:46
    Yes, Korreen Ditschler!
    Thank you for articulating some of the finer points! You also touched on another very important conversation about casting in educational theatre.  I get so worked up and frustrated when I hear theatre educators talk about casting shows in their program like they would be cast in the "real world."  WHY, in heaven's name, does anyone in theatre, educational or otherwise,  want to reinforce such a narrow representation of who gets to tell the story?  Yes, the "real world" is full of unimaginative directors who can only see Ariel as being white, or non-disabled or having a conventionally thin body or can only envision Hamlet as a straight, white, cis-gender man.  Educational theatre, however, is about serving our students first, not our own egos. I say this as much as a reminder for myself as I head into casting my next show, but every time I take a "risk" on a young actor who may not match my "vision", I am rewarded tenfold.  Allowing myself to be guided by my students makes me a better teacher and director.   

Sorry, that we have commandeered the original post, but I am also very grateful that the OP even took the time and the thought reach out in search of input. It is so wonderful that we are even having this conversation!  I, for one, love to find a post on this discussion board that really makes me think and reminds me of what is important.  So thank you, Kenneth Gibson!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 8.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-24-2019 23:45
    When you are casting actors for a professional show, you have a larger pool of actors because you can cast a wider net.  You can advertise that you want to cast an actor who uses a wheelchair in daily life.  

That is not the case in high school  I think it would be horrible to cast a student in a wheelchair to play a character in a wheelchair just because that student is in a wheelchair.  Kenneth doesn't have an available actor in a wheelchair to play the role.  If this play is right for his actors and he believes it will resonate with his audience right now, I think the lack of a handicapped student should not preclude the production.  Certainly, the actor using a wheelchair will need to do research, and the person or people who help that actor learn to handle the wheelchair well should be honored with program credit and recognition when they attend the performance.  Handled correctly, this could send a signal that Kenneth is open to actors who are differently-abled in his program.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-25-2019 17:09
    Our actor who played Colin in Secret Garden was able bodied.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-26-2019 06:51
    So under the premise that if you don't have or can't find a disabled performer for the part you should not do the show,

Why do you want to do this show, what is its relevance or message that you are trying to convey?

If you have a disabled actor should they not be cast in a part for a non-disabled performer under this same premise, or should men's and women's parts be maintained and not cross cast due to the talent pool you have?

Best person for the part should get the part, we are trying to entertain and educate on the High School Level,

Theatre Represents life, in the high school you have your specific talent pool to choose from to create your vision, we do no't have in many instances the ability to search for non-in-school students, as we are there to educate our school students.

I was cast as a person with mental disabilities in a production, This was a show written by a local author, who based it on a person they knew,
    as a performer it was the most difficult role I have ever had to play, I had the utmost respect for the disability, I have had friends over the years that had this disability, and wanted to make sure I did the play honor, and that the disability was properly represented. The hardest part was battling the inner me, I had to walk the fine line of not stereotyping the character and not making fun of the disability, my research of this maintained my check of myself.

If the director decides to do the production, there is a reason and vision that they are trying to convey to the patrons. Cast the best person for the part, Inclusion is for everyone, cast based on talent not Quota

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 11.  RE: Disabled Character

Posted 08-26-2019 16:10
    Thank you so much for the feedback and interesting reading.  I think this topic is at the forefront of what we are doing and trying to do.  I posted to get feedback on this 'not so good' feeling I had about the eventuality of casting a non-disabled actor for this part and whether it is okay to move forward if I have done my due diligence.  Within the desire of being true to the part and casting a disabled/wheelchair abled actor is to 1) address the presumption of 'actors can play any parts' and 2) create an opportunity for not just the actor, but the audience member who may be disabled or family member of a disabled person to illustrate that their story could be told by the person who has to some degree lived it.  It's about access and inclusion and the way we shift the paradigm is to create opportunities and be intentional with casting.  Thanks again.  Let's keep talking.

Kenneth Gibson
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonburg VA