Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-09-2019 10:51
    Do you do it? And if you do, how much do you charge for quarter page vs. half page vs. full page?

---------------------------------
    Tiffany Garner
    Theatre Director
    American Leadership Academy Gilbert Noth
    Gilbert AZ
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-10-2019 08:06
    Hi Tiffany,

I teach in a high poverty community so I started by asking around to see what would be feasible.  I charge $15 for business card size, $25 for quarter page, $35 for half page and $50 for full page.  I've attached my files for my adspace sheet and also the measurement sheet for reference.  Hope this helps!

Kristin Lundberg
    Theatre Arts Instructor, ITS Troupe Director 8401
    Rocky Mount High School

Facebook and Instagram: Gryphon Theatricals
    Twitter: @RMHSTheaterArts

"Be the Change You Want To See In The World"

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Mamma Mia Ad.pdf   267 KB 1 version
    pdf
    AdSpace Measurements.pdf   96 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-10-2019 11:18
    We sold ads one year.  By the time we printed the extra pages in every program for the entire season, we lost money.  Just something to keep in mind if you plan to sell ads for the season.

------------------------------
    C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-10-2019 08:27
      |   view attached
    Ad sales both pay for the program and provide a little extra profit to cover other costs.  

I base the format on the traditional playbill one would see at a Broadway show, but I do NOT use any copyrighted logos or designs unique to the Playbill company.  We include cast and crew bios, the "legalese" and other credits required by the licensing agencies, a rundown of the scenes/songs, and (if I have the time to write them) director's notes.

We try to make it look as professional as possible and have received many compliments.  I lay the whole thing out on Apple Pages (with some done on Word or Publisher).

We do the standard 8.5x11 inch paper in landscape format so I can get four "pages" on each sheet of paper.  We do a full-color, glossy outer cover (front and back cover with two inside pages in full color).  All of the internal pages are black and white on standard copy paper in order to keep costs down.  We usually print up 1500 programs with approx. 20 internal pages for a total cost of around $1700.  We have a local printer that does them for us.  I email the pdf of the entire program and they do a great job (usually takes a week to print).

We sell ads in three sizes: "business card" (2x3.5) which is $25, 1/2 page (4x5) is $50, and full page, (8x5) is $100.  We could charge more, but since I have to handle all of the accounting, this breakdown just makes all of the math that much easier.  Essentially, if we sell 20 pages worth of ads, we've covered our printing costs.

The ads are a combination of commercial/business ads mixed in with "personal" ads from friends and family.  These are usually personal photos along with personal messages.  Since our yearbook publisher no longer allows for personal messages or Senior Quotes, many of my students and their families look at the musical program as their only chance for such messages.

I've attached the ad sales form that I use.  I hope it helps!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ad order form pdf.pdf   94 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-10-2019 12:43
    We do for musicals.  I charge $25 for quarter page, $50 for half and $100 for full.  Full page comes with two complementary tickets.  Sometimes I have also included a "Shout Out" page that gives you a couple lines on the  page of $5.00. I typically run about 12-15 pages of ads so I can print a slicker, PlayBill type program.

For straight plays we use lobby cards (front and back of 1/2 page of card stock, cut lengthwise. Cards are 4 1/4 x 11) 
    For these I typically have one ad/sponsor who gets the bottom quarter of the back for an ad. They pay about $150 or so, whatever the cost of card stock and printing. Typically it has been a parent who has a business who sponsors this.

Jenny Brotherton
    Drama Coach-Teacher
    Scranton PA

• 6.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 04-11-2019 12:27
    Hi there!

We sell ads in our programs each year! It's a great revenue stream for our theatre department.

In the fall, we give businesses a deal if they choose to advertise in the programs of both shows!

We also sell family ads.

Hope this helps! I have attached examples.

Thanks,
    Adam

[Adam] [Steffan]
    Theatre Director
    Wauwatosa West High School
    Wauwatosa, WI

• 7.  RE: Selling Ad Space In Programs

Posted 07-06-2019 11:40
    We do sell ads, 1/4 pg. $25, 1/2 pg. $35, 3/4 pg. $45, full pg. $50. We also sell sponsorships for $75, $100, $180, $200, $350, $365 for things like parts of set, for ex.: Fairytale Classroom, principal’s office, voting boxes, tables & chairs, paint for set, spotlight, royalties, scripts, batteries, lightbulbs etc. all get a full pg. thank you. We raise between $500-$3000 depending on the cast. This year $1700 with cast of 29

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone