Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  STO running for Student Board Question

Posted 04-23-2020 15:14

I'm just looking for some feedback on what some of you do when your troupe has an STO.  

Do you allow them to run for an elected board position such as President?  

I'm thinking they are already an officer and they can sit on our student board as an STO.  I think the elected board positions carry a lot of responsibility and take up a lot of time.  Just like being an STO.  So I'd be concerned with the student being able to perform both tasks.  In the past I've had issues with that.  

Any thoughts would be welcome.  

------------------------------
    Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 2.  RE: STO running for Student Board Question

Posted 04-24-2020 09:26
    Hi Chuck -

I have an STO  - and have had them before.  The students have always been able to handle their responsibilities for both groups - and most of my former STO's have also served as troupe president or "upper management" in the past.

I would ask your student to make sure that they are up for the challenge, but if they say yes, take them at their word.  Unless you have something already in your troupe constitution, this could come back to you personally.  I would assume that your constitution already has language about officers/members who must maintain their membership/position in good standing... if they fail to follow through on projects, or attend meetings - that's where you have leverage, if the language is already existing in your constitution.

I'm going to wait to have elections for next year's officers until the fall, I think. But I am in the same boat -my current VP is the only underclassmen officer, and she is also a new STO for PA.  With Honors/AP courses - but she's on top of things, and still managing our social media during this pandemic, spearheading a recognition project for our seniors,  AND asking how else she can help. 

Give your student the benefit of the doubt unless they prove to you otherwise, would be my recommendation.

• 3.  RE: STO running for Student Board Question

Posted 04-27-2020 10:46
    For the past three years, I've had STOs, and all three years these students have served as President or VP of my troupe. It's definitely doable, in my opinion. These kids are chosen as STOs for a reason (they're great leaders!), and I want them to serve as leaders in my troupe, not just at the state level. I'd certainly invite them to your board meetings should they not be an officer for your troupe. Sometimes our questions/concerns are just a text away in our meetings, and the STO is able to provide us an answer within minutes.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher, Spring Play Director,
    & Thespian Troupe Director
    at Noblesville High School (Noblesville, IN)

Twitter: @mrsnieten

• 4.  RE: STO running for Student Board Question

Posted 04-28-2020 08:11
    The bylaws in our troupe list STOs as ex-oficio members of our leadership team.  They do not have to run for another office.  In my experience, most do.  It's doable in our state based on the requirements of the STOs and our officers in our troupe.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 5.  RE: STO running for Student Board Question

Posted 04-29-2020 21:03
    Hi Chuck -

I have a very unique situation - STO, ITO, and President of my troupe.  He has done a FANTASTIC job in every leadership role.  Now I know he is one of a kind, but it is doable. In the past I have asked how they plan to balance their involvement and their academics. I always give them the benefit of the doubt, but also encourage them to delegate and ask for help when they need it. I tell them though that if they are not able to fulfill the job, I will remove them, which is stated in our constitution.

Matthew South