Open Forum

View Only

After Almost, Maine

• 1.  After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-03-2017 20:49
    We just finished our production of Almost, Maine (HS theatre).  It was a tremendous hit.  My quandary is where to go from here.  Looking for something of similar quality, charm, and cast size (we did very little doubling) for next year.  Also, if anyone would like more info about our production of Almost, Maine please let me know.  I love this play and it's very hard to let it go.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 2.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 07:08
    Laramie Project
    12 Angry jurors
    And then they came for me remembering the world of Anne Frank

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 3.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-05-2017 09:59
    Becoming Memories by Arthur Gurion (I think) Ensemble piece written for a cast of 10 that takes 5 different families through 3 generations. There is some singing, but no solos.

• 4.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 07:24
    Have you read Cariani's "Love/Sick".  It is the same idea as Almost, Maine, but a little darker.

• 5.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 07:33
    I loved Almost, Maine when we did it a few years ago, and I'm always looking for shows that I like that much. I've never found anything else exactly like it, but I've found the following to have strong characters, interesting acting challenges, good ensemble interaction, and quality writing:
    Triangle by Laurie Brooks
    Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman
    Still Life With Iris, by Steven Dietz
    These Shining Lives by Melanie Marnich (I haven't actually directed this yet, but it's on my list)
    Anatomy of Gray by Jim Leonard Jr.
    And after reading a million shows for this year, I was thrilled with our choice of the RSC adaptation of Arabian Nights by Dominic Cooke.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 08:59
    A few years back my students wrote an original play titled: Going Out With A Bang!

It takes place in a high school two weeks before the prom insanity starts to flare up.

It was written in the style of Almost, Maine in that it is a series of vignettes in different locales in a high school with a small group of students, but there are three scenes when all of the characters are together (homeroom, lunch, return to homeroom).

We had a great time with the show and audience enjoyed it.  It has silly and ridiculous moments as well as touching and poignant moments.  It is also has some flexibility in terms of eliminating a scene if you don't have the right cast members for it.  Each scene was written as a stand alone 10 minute play. Or it can be woven together for an entire story.

Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

Good luck on the search.

John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 7.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 09:19
    I know! I felt the same way when we did "Almost.." four years ago. It  has a kind of magical quality that is difficult to find in other scripts. Have you looked at The Diviners? It's dark but really beautiful and you can have fun exploring the "movement" in the piece. 

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 14:47

I highly recommend Love (Awkwardly) published by Youth Plays. It is also about relationships and has a similar cast size. I wasn't able to do it this year, but I love the play and hope to do it soon. ​ 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 9.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 15:32
    My favorite play by far with a beautiful story, important message, humor, and yet a tragic ending is The Diviners by Jim Leonard, Jr.  Yes, I have a personal connection to this play since my brother was in the original cast at Hanover College, but I absolutely love it and highly recommend it.  It's a fairly large cast for a straight play.  If you have never read it, I strongly encourage you to do so.  I've directed it twice with great success.

Bethany Bax
    teacher and play director
    Greencastle Community Schools
    Greencastle IN

• 10.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-04-2017 19:45
    I feel really fortunate to have found this board.  Thank you all for the great suggestions.  I ordered a copy of Love/Sick today and plan to read several others.  I also found a copy of Love Awkwardly online.

Last Gas also looks amazing but the cast size sadly won't work.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 11.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-05-2017 10:36
    You could always look at Eurydice by Sara Ruhl. We are doing it in the fall. I very much love that script. 

Kate Torcom
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Bend OR

• 12.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-12-2017 17:09
    Almost, Maine was actually a big source of inspiration for my play subText. I describe it as a "an Almost, Maine where nobody can put down their phones." subText is a series of vignettes detailing the awkwardness of dating in the digital age, from capturing the perfect selfie to making a relationship Facebook official. At its heart, subText is a reminder that "love is a lot of things, but it is rarely a thing of convenience." 

Much like Almost, my play is very flexibly cast, because only 2 - 4 characters appear in any of the vignettes. It can be done with as few as 5 actors or as many as 20.

If you're interested, you can check it out here:

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2854#searchterm=subtext

Tyler Dwiggins

• 13.  RE: After Almost, Maine

Posted 04-22-2018 21:59
    So we ended up choosing Dearly Departed.  The show was a big hit this weekend.  I felt death in the Deep South was a perfect juxtaposition for love in the frozen north.  The search begins again!  Live/Sick is a contender again but not sure it will resonate like Almost.  We are super psyched to have our completed renovated theatre next year.  Originally constructed in 1928 it has been completely restored with the addition of new sound and lights.  We need something grand.  I'm all ears.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY