Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Multi-ethnic small cast farce or comedy?

Posted 07-15-2017 16:06
    I am looking for a small cast piece akin to "Shipwrecked...", "39 Steps ", or even the Abridged plays, fast paced, and funny. But I would like to find something written by a playwright of color. Not that these are not great pieces, but I think something else might ring truer for my actors. I loved The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, but that is too large... looking for only 3 or 4, even 2. There are many great playwrights I can think of, but small and funny is the difficult part. Point me in a direction!

------------------------------
    Korreen Ditschler
    APO AP

• 2.  RE: Multi-ethnic small cast farce or comedy?

Posted 07-16-2017 08:01
    You might consider at Josefina Lopez' first play (written 30 years ago when she was 17), a one-act, titled Simply Maria, or, The American Dream.

It is a satire that examines Latina identity.

Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH

• 3.  RE: Multi-ethnic small cast farce or comedy?

Posted 08-03-2017 18:59
    You might want to consider joining, and then searching, the National New Play Network's New Play Exchange. You can filter plays by a lot of different factors, including playwright ethnic identity, and then read them on the web site.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 4.  RE: Multi-ethnic small cast farce or comedy?

Posted 08-03-2017 20:05
    The title that jumps to my head is Woza, Albert! by Mbogeni Ngema & Percy Mtwa. It's a faced paced satire/farce/comedy from the Market Theatre in South Africa. Possibly not what you're looking for if you want to avoid politics from Apartheid-era Johannesburg, but a great piece of theatre.

The Trials of Brother Jero by Wole Soyina may have too many characters--I think it's around 6--but is funny and a good satire from a giant of Nigerian playwrighting whom I associate more with drama than with comedy.

This is a great question. I'm excited to see everyone's suggestions!

Meg O'Connor
    Teaching Artist
    oconnormainstage.com

• 5.  RE: Multi-ethnic small cast farce or comedy?

Posted 08-07-2017 21:13
    I am not exactly sure what ethnic groups are represented in your program, but there is a lesser known, but very effective work by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage called By the Way, Meet Vera Stark. I saw this show Off Broadway years ago. I don't know if it would work for your department as a fill production, but could definitely work as a One-Act, or scene work. I have the same sentiments regarding Clybourne Park by Bruce Norris. They are definitely both worth checking out.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY