Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Nunsense

Posted 06-05-2017 18:09
    I'm wondering if anyone has produced Nunsense and received negative feedback?  I'm strongly considering it for my fall musical (fits my potential cast of mostly female).  My concern is that our community is almost all conservative catholic and there are a couple of scenes I'm not sure how they will be taken ( such as Mother Superior getting high).  I would like to hear feedback others have received.
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale High School
    Andale KS

• 2.  RE: Nunsense

Posted 06-06-2017 08:21
    Hi Janet,

I produced it two years ago. I was performing arts director at an independent school in Gainesville with a fairly conservative community. I received zero complaints. As a Catholic myself, I find the humor and the nostalgia for the rituals of Catholicism heartwarming (Especially the song "Growing Up Catholic") and humorous. Remember - the mother Superior becomes accidentally intoxicated . I played the accidental angle up in the blocking and delivery. The scene received some of the biggest laughs.

Go for it! Break a leg!

William J. Eyerly, Ed.D
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Canterbury School, Fort Myers, FL

• 3.  RE: Nunsense

Posted 06-06-2017 08:21
    Hi Janet,
    I produced it two years ago. I was performing arts director at an independent school in Gainesville with a fairly conservative community. I received zero complaints. As a Catholic myself, I find the humor and the nostalgia for the rituals of Catholicism heartwarming (Especially the song "Growing Up Catholic") and humorous. Remember - the Mother Superior becomes accidentally intoxicated . I played the accidental angle up in the blocking and delivery. The scene received some of the biggest laughs.
    Go for it! Break a leg!
    William J. Eyerly, Ed.D
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Canterbury School, Fort Myers, FL

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 4.  RE: Nunsense

Posted 06-06-2017 11:34
    Hi Janet
    Thai is Leo Carusone at Sacred Heart University. I am also one of the creators of Nunsense, writing the musical arrangements for most of the shows in the series.  Nunsense has been very successful for many years and as long as you stay respectful to the characters it will always work.  The nuns in the show are based on real nuns and should not make fun of the material. Make them real and the audience will love the show. I directed it here at this catholic university and it was a big success.  If you have any questions that I can help you with please feel free to contact me at the university.  I love helping people with the show and you will be amazed how the audience will enjoy it. I wish you the very best with it. carusonel@sacredheart.edu

Leo Carusone
    Assitant Director of Theatre
    Sacred Heart University
    Fairfield CT

• 5.  RE: Nunsense

Posted 06-06-2017 13:33
    I was in Nunsense in 1997 and wanted to show a portion of the video to my middle schoolers last year. The principal said absolutely not. She was worried that the nuns TAP DANCING would be offensive. And we're in Northern California. Turns out it was just her and not the community, as I would learn with my choices later.

To be safe, I would run it by the powers that be first, just so you can check off that box. Ask your principal, ask a parent bigwig (someone from a committee that gives money to your department or the school). Then, if there IS any backlash (which I really don't think there will be...those who posted before me have exactly the right answer...don't make fun of the nuns, let it be genuine and people will laugh with you, not at you, and you'll be fine), you'll be able to say you jumped through the hoops first.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 6.  RE: Nunsense

Posted 06-06-2017 20:17
    I did it five years ago and received no complaints and I would love to do it again. I try to be sensitive to religious sensibilities and while I'm not Catholic, Nunsense comes across as a very affectionate homage to Catholicism. The author is (or at least was - I can't tell) Catholic. If you're concerned, run it by some one from a local Catholic church. I'm not suggesting that churches should have veto power over your productions, but my guess is that most Catholics will see Nunsense as the fond music it is.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/