Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  High school students in a middle school program?

Posted 06-21-2017 14:28

I lead an after school drama program at our middle school, it's something I took an as an "extra" job, so I'm not the most experienced, but we have a lot of fun and the kids seem to really enjoy it. So much, in fact, that they are disappointed to move on to the high school where there is not a drama program. No one at the high school seems interested in running one and I don't think I can manage two separate programs. Our schools aren't far away and it would be easy for the students to get here by bus. Has anyone tried allowing high school students to participate in their middle school program? I know I'll need to get this approved by the administration, but what else do I need to think about to make it work?

------------------------------
    Laurel Reiley
    IN

• 2.  RE: High school students in a middle school program?

Posted 06-22-2017 07:11
    I run a Theatre Department in a Middle School, and like you, my students come back when they realize that their high schools have no Theatre programs, or programs that are inferior to our program. I have quite a bit of autonomy with my program, so I have have at times invited past students to participate in both performing and technical roles. It can be very beneficial and rewarding for both the high school and middle school students.

During the 2015-2016 school year, I had high school performers play lead roles in both main stage productions. The play Freak the Mighty required a student who was visibly large enough and physically strong enough to carry another on his shoulders for a significant portion of the show. I didn't have a student in my program who could do that, and the student whom I originally cast for the role backed out. I asked a former student who was visiting to fill in for that rehearsal, and immediately saw the whole production rise. He also had an emotional depth and understanding that the previous student could not achieve that clearly comes from maturity. 

For the musical, we did Peter Pan: a Musical Adventure. I knew going in that I needed an older actor to play Captain Hook. It was beyond the reach of any of my boys. The only options were to play Captain Hook, or get an older student to play Hook. I asked a Senior if he was interested and he enthusiastically said yea. He said he missed working with me and hadn't done a challenging role since he left Middle School. 

This year I had a high school student as my stage manager for Seussical which freed me up to conduct, which was very necessary for this show. 

I think I might blog on this soon, so look out for that.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: High school students in a middle school program?

Posted 06-22-2017 13:26
    I teach middle school in a K - 12 school, so my students leave me to go to another excellent teacher that is down the hall form me. That said, I have used my former students, who have remained active in the Upper School program, as mentors and aids in the technical theatre areas. This has been very successful for both the older and younger students. You may need permission from administration, especially regarding transportation of the High School students, but I would encourage you to give it a try.

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher'
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 4.  RE: High school students in a middle school program?

Posted 06-26-2017 12:40
    Thank you both so much!! I love the idea of using older students as stage managers and giving them more responsibility. THat makes perfect sense. Tina, yes, I will definitely be checking with the administration. Currently our buses pick up the high school students first, then come over to the middle school to pick up students before heading on their routes, so I'm hoping it could be as easy as the high school students just hopping off the bus when they get to the middle school!
    Can't wait to read your blog Hugh!!

Laurel Reiley
    IN