Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Adding extra characters to one act

Posted 11-06-2018 10:52
    Good Morning! 
    I have more students auditioning for the one act play than there are parts. I don't direct in a big school and am always short on male actors, so I don't want to turn anyone away. Luckily, the play I chose calls for extras. I was wondering if allowing the extras to ad-lib lines is an infringement of copyright laws. I would like to give the extras more to do if possible. 

Thank you for any advice you may have!

------------------------------
    Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 2.  RE: Adding extra characters to one act

Posted 11-07-2018 18:17

In general, the rule is that you may make no changes--including cuts or additions--to a play without permission from the playwright (or the playwright's representative). So if you're adding lines, ad-libbed or not, you're making changes--changes that may alter the playwright's intent. You need to ask.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: Adding extra characters to one act

Posted 11-08-2018 14:54

Jonathan is correct, unless you have written permission to make the change, it is usually expressly prohibited. 

Perhaps have a couple of the students perform a monologue or two or a 10 minuet play before the one act? 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 4.  RE: Adding extra characters to one act

Posted 11-19-2018 11:38
    I always tell my kids that they are actors not playwrights so I do not allow for ad libs except where the stage direction specifically states. I do however, always bring in 2 additional students with each character entering. They get more stage time & get to hone the skills of reacting. With The 10 I had without lines last year, each had 5 costume changes when those with lines had 1 or 2. It made them feel important & taught about quick changes too. Sometimes I assign each member to a specific character so whenever your counterpart is on stage, so are you.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone