Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-07-2018 13:35
    What are your policies on rewarding induction points to students that rehearsed, but did not show up to the production?  Do you give those students points for the hours they contributed even though they quit or did not show up for show night?    

------------------------------
    Kayla Wilson
    Hillsboro OH

• 2.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-07-2018 14:37
    I do not. When students commit to a show, regardless as to performance or tech, they need to complete their commitment in order to receive their points. It's unfair to the rest of the cast and crew who need to cover for them to make the production work. I also will not allow them to participate in the next production. They need to earn my trust back before I will give them that opportunity. They can do this based on their behavior in class and/or through club activities.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-07-2018 16:52
    It would depend on the situation and/or the student; if the student outright flaked, then yeah, don't award the points. It'd be similar to a student who studied for a test and came to all the study sessions, but then didn't show up for the final exam: does the student still get a grade for their exam? Yup, an F (no show). 

In rare, rare cases the student may have a valid reason. I think I've had one student have a valid reason for bailing at the last minute, out of the perhaps dozen in four years. No points were awarded except for that one student, but that was because she went into hospital with a serious problem. But otherwise, yeah. Don't give mercy points, the performance is the final exam, but with added consequences because of, as Shira put it, all the other folks that are relying on that individual to act well their part. Or at least act the bare minimum their part. :)

I am so far behind in contributions to the forum behind Shira lol

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-08-2018 06:11
    Students who did not perform do not receive Thespian points in our troupe.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-08-2018 10:50
    Unfortunately, I do not reward points for a no-show. I understand anxiety and fear. By the time a student invests energy into a rehearsal period, they should be able to "conquer" those fears. They should at least show up and attempt to do what they were trained to do. If they DO show up, then it may be a different story.

You can give out points for UNDERSTUDY. They get 1 for a one-act and 2 for a full-length. This should be acceptable to the EdTA staff. The way I understand it, they get points for DOING. The Greek for acting is AKT. It translates into the verb "to do." They do not DO, they do not get points. If they at least try and fail, it may because of something deeper.

I had a senior who went thru 6 weeks of rehearsal and did the dress rehearsal. Her mother was in attendance. She did not show up for the performance(s). Anxiety.

A commitment is one thing I explain before auditions. They should take some pride in being a part of a production. It is an Honor (hence, "honor thespian) to participate. 

If you give her points, you set a precedence for others who may follow ill-advised theatre behavior.

Good luck with the theatre at your school. Be blessed.

- Joe D.

Dr. Joseph DiCicco
    Educator: Theatre 6-12
    Whitefield Academy
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-08-2018 16:04
    ​Hey Kayla,

Yikes first! Our policy follows many of the above. The completion of the show is completion of the point process as the point system calls out the production/role, not the rehearsals. Also being in the show is not like volunteering to come in during build sessions, its required.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 7.  RE: Points Awarded to No-Shows?

Posted 03-09-2018 08:42
    My policy, which is in the actor/tech agreement that student and parent/guardian sign to audition or apply, states that students who are released from a role or position due to grades or attendance will loose points for that production and cannot regain (however, if approved *special circumstances occur as we all know* they may usher and do strike for usher points only).

Students that do the production but do not attend strike negate their points and are on probation for one full year.  This has proven 100% helpful at every school I have worked at.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Pacific MO