Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lesson Plans

Posted 09-02-2017 15:57
    Hi. I am having troubling breaking down my Middle School acting classes into "Lesson Components." A lot of what we do is scene study. So I have "Anticipatory Sets" (warm-ups) and "Independent Work" (students rehearsing their scenes.) But I'm not sure about having "Introduce and Model New Learning" and "Developmental Activity," for every class. (I imagine "Guided Practice/Work" would be when we critique scenes (but that's after "Independent Work.")

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Terry

• 2.  RE: Lesson Plans

Posted 09-03-2017 20:58

Hi Tierney Fitzmartin!

I normally model my classes around a question to get the students engaged what exactly they should be looking for in their scene study. In the beginning stages, when we are just digging in to character work, I ask them to define a concept in their own words and then discuss with me about the definition. At first we talk about lying- in the real world, and on stage- and then we go into Stanyslavski's terms: beats, objective, super objective, etc. 

Each of these terms are defined one at a time if you have really basic learners. However, if you have some advanced students, you can do a "gallery walk" of terms as well; this is where you have ALL terms listed somewhere and each student can choose to define one privately. Then, the students pair up with other students that defined the same term, discuss a liked definition, and then they summarize (very good higher order learning) for the class -- and subsequently become the teacher-- HOWEVER, what oftentimes happens, is that they define the word wrong. This is where the beauty takes place. You can point out that their definition is generally what most people associate with the word, but in theater .... bla bla bla teacher awesome words .... 

Once you've tackled some basic terms, or at least defined what *exactly* you want the kids to get out of scene work, you can start on scene work! Hope that helps, or gives you some ideas!

Stephen Harvey
    Theatre Director/Teacher
    Manassas VA