Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cereal Box Project

Posted 02-27-2018 13:29
    Hi,
    I want to do a project with my students to teach them about the parts of a proscenium stage (i.e proscenium arch, apron, acting areas, upstage, downstage, curtains, etc.).  I'm thinking I want to start with a shoe box or cereal boxes as a base then have them build a theatre and label all the parts of the stage.  Before I invent a new wheel do any of you have a project like this (with instructions) you would share?  I'm gearing this to 6th and 7th grade students.  
    Thank you for your ideas.
    Russ

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: Cereal Box Project

Posted 02-28-2018 09:29

Do you have a stage and access to it?  If so,  one thing I have done that the students love is a scavenger hunt.  I make a set of cards for each group with the names of the parts of the theatre. They have to use a smart phone or computer and look up what the parts are then they go to the auditorium and take pictures with their cards and themselves pointing out the objects they have found. Prizes are awarded to the first three teams.  They really like this.  If you then want to reinforce this with the shoe box stages,  it would be really well grounded. 

You could also draw the different parts and copy them unto cardstock and have the students cut and paste them to their stages.  Having them draw it out usually is too frustrating for younger students just learning what everything is.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 3.  RE: Cereal Box Project

Posted 02-28-2018 09:33
    ​Kelly,

We do the same thing. We also have the tech class record themselves performing competencies. Might as well use the technology right?

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Cereal Box Project

Posted 02-28-2018 09:58
    I do the scavenger hunt thing for identification as well but I have a beginning project that I do as a "cereal box" or "file folder" type project to build a stage that you could take a look at.  You might also be able to make simple adjustments to make it work easily for what you're talking about.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Cereal Box Project

Posted 02-28-2018 16:30
    I don't have a stage only a lecture hall. ugh Other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 6.  RE: Cereal Box Project

Posted 03-01-2018 08:14
    Joel, would you mind sharing the details of your project?

I had a class make models a while back using paper cartons - the ones copy paper come in. I made one myself ahead of time so  I knew what would work and where the pitfalls were. One the stages were made, the did a set design for the play we had been reading in class and created furniture and backdrops.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL