Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Men

Posted 08-28-2019 19:45

Is there a one act version of 12 Angry Men?  (I couldn't find one with a cursory internet search.)

If not, is there a one act that is similar to it?  I have a young man interested in directing something like that for our one act festival this year.

------------------------------
    Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Men

Posted 08-29-2019 08:02
    There's a great royalty free twist on it called 12 Angry Pigs. 
    Free One-Act Plays and Other Drama Resources

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Men

Posted 08-29-2019 09:51
    Reginald Rose's original script of 12 Angry Men, written for television, was 60 minutes long. Depending upon the length of the commercials, admittedly shorter in those days, It might run 50-55 minutes of playing time. I have no idea whether one can license that version, but it might be worth inquiring. That script exists in various anthologies of "Great TV Dramas." I had a paperback of it at one time. A used bookstore might be a good source if you wanted to seek it out.

Howard Sherman
    Arts Integrity Initiative
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Men

Posted 08-29-2019 09:52
    Hi Annie,

Dramatic Publishing licenses school and amateur productions of Twelve Angry Men.

It is allowed to be cut, as long as our guidelines are being followed. Our cutting guidelines state that only full scenes and full pages (the majority of a page) can be removed. Individual words and smaller chunks of dialogue cannot be cut. Characters cannot be removed.

We do allow character genders and corresponding pronouns to be changed, but this is a rare instance specific to Twelve Angry Men (and Twelve Angry Women!).

Please contact our office at (800) 448-7469 should you have any more questions about potentially using Twelve Angry Men for the festival!

Thanks!

Ivy Neufeld
    Dramatic Publishing Company
    311 Washington Street
    Woodstock, IL 60098

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Men

Posted 08-29-2019 12:06
    We performed 12 Angry Jurors - what it's called with a mixed gender cast - for competition a few years ago.  Follow the guidelines, be true to the characters and it's a great competition piece.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 6.  RE: 12 Angry Men

Posted 09-01-2019 12:30
    Annie,

Pacing is the key. We did the show just under 60 minutes with no break.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School