Open Forum

View Only

Samuel French Costs

• 1.  Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-06-2017 14:18
    Hello all,

I am going through Samuel French for licensing my fall play this year and was a little shocked when I went to finalize licensing and noticed the price. It is basically twice what I am used to paying. Is this the experience of everyone else? Is there a reason their pricing is so high? I am still a newbie of sorts and learning the ropes all around. I am going to have to adjust my budget next year or not order from them if this is typical.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

------------------------------
    Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 2.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-06-2017 15:19
    The costs for the licensing really depend on both the type of show (musical, straight, one act ,etc), the number of shows and the title recognition. There are other considerations that the companies ask for (auditorium size, ticket pricing, etc) as well. 
    I've used several different companies and, although Sam French is expensive, I haven't noticed it being overly so. They do have a large library of options that some of the smaller companies do not offer, so that may have something to do with the costs as well.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-06-2017 15:50

Our fees are set per our contracts with our authors, so they can receive payment for their art. These fees are determined using your ticket prices, venue size, number of performances, and other title-specific factors. However, we understand that you may not fill your venue to the maximum seating capacity. We're always happy to work with teachers and teaching artists to see if they qualify for a lower rate. Please feel free to send an email to K12@samuelfrench.com with the specifics about your situation and your license request number.

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-07-2017 05:30
    I have dealt with Samuel French for many years and find them to be very open to working with you.  Every situation is different, but I've found them to be very helpful whenever I've contacted them.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 5.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-07-2017 08:02
    We have been using Samuel French a lot lately for some reason.

The royalty we pay for a play is around $100.00 per performance. This seems to be in line with other publishers.

Our spring musical is a Samuel French property and it is right in line with what I pay TRW and well below what I have been paying MTI especially for a Disney product.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-07-2017 09:28
    Yes! Samuel French has gotten out of hand. I am paying double the normal fees for Noises Off this year. Dramatists doesn't overcharge schools that way, but if you want a title, I guess you pay what you have to.

Jeff Sams
    Theatre Director
    Franklin High School
    Franklin, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-07-2017 13:26
    Samuel French is ridiculously over priced compared to other licensing houses.  I am looking at doing a musical from them and it is more than double other well known shows with others.  It seems that EdTA could negotiate better pricing since Samuel French is one of the major corporate sponsors for events.

[Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 8.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-08-2017 12:26
    Samuel French reached out to me to let me know there is a process in which you can discuss a rate appeal with them.  I have submitted the rate appeal for our spring musical and will let all know what happens.  Glad to see that we can get responses by using the forum.

[Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 9.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-07-2017 20:22
    ​I still take issue that plays that should be in public domain are still licensed at their high fee. I have no problem paying the artists for their work, but when said author has been dead for almost 100 years, it is too high.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 10.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-11-2017 22:43
    Hope when yo all are looking up the high priced Sam French titles, you don't skip over mine... :)

Check out their Breaking Character online mag too.   Some good articles.    Also check out their from the vault section and you might find some familiar authors featured.   Ahem...

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 11.  RE: Samuel French Costs

Posted 09-12-2017 14:38
    After dealing with Disney and MTI, I found Sam French to be incredibly reasonable!  It's good to know they are open to discussion about accommodations for smaller theaters.   

Plays Magazine is a good resource - All plays rights are included with a subscription.

Theatrefolk and Pioneer Drama are great resources for less expensive shows too.

Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO