Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  online (zoom) workshop ideas

Posted 08-28-2020 18:30
    Hey there theatre teacher colleagues --

I am looking for ideas/referrals for excellent single-session Zoom workshops for middle and high school theatre students. I've got two target audiences here: kids ages 10-18 who have little experience with theatre but who might show up for a 60-90 minute theatre workshop if it sounds TOTALLY FUN, and somewhat experienced middle/high school actors who want to improve their skills in acting or some other aspect of performing. Topics could include topics like vocal characterization (a priority of mine!), auditions, improv, comedy, stage makeup, monologue/scene writing, expressing musical theatre songs with your face and body, and really anything that would work on Zoom. It is VITAL that these are engaging and enjoyable -- extremely important for both recruitment and retention within a program that is in a "recovery phase" after the departure of a popular theatre program director. Referrals to specific teaching artists and/or workshop offering would be much appreciated. - Stuart Rosenthal

------------------------------
    Stuart Rosenthal
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Miami FL

• 2.  RE: online (zoom) workshop ideas

Posted 08-29-2020 10:36
    Hope that you will check out the Library on this Community. I created 12 short Distance Ensemble Experiences.units which I have used with ages 8-Community Theatre actors of various ages. They are designed for Zoom or other digital platforms. Feel free to tweak them as needed. 
    The workshop is participatory for large groups to small ensembles. For each experience students work with Objectives, Obstacles and Tactics, and take part in articulating their reflections. 
    Hope that you look intoDistance Ensemble Experiences. Enjoy.

Gai Laing Jones
    President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF), CETA Executive Board, DTASC Advocacy Director, SAG/AFTRA Member

RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com 
     BREAK A LEG,  A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com  
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES:  ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon 
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 3.  RE: online (zoom) workshop ideas

Posted 08-29-2020 10:53

@StuartRosenthal

I'm looking to modify for Zoom the 5 or 6 (2 hr.) Acting Classes that I normally hold in the fall.  I would like to use the same theatre games for continuity but modify them for Zoom. I also want to use this opportunity to have guest artists for not only acting & improv but also for makeup & costumes. 

BJ has been highly recommended on this Forum for Improv. 

Timothy Mooney does great Shakespeare shows.  I'm hoping to get him to show the kids how to still act while sitting in front of the Zoom screen.  I saw his Lot O' Shakespeare last week and he is fabulous!  (https://www.facebook.com/timmooneyrep/live_videos/ )  for Sunday night's 10pm pay what you want show & https://calendly.com/timmooneyrep  for $5 Monday nights 10pm

Anyone have ideas on how to modify these games for Zoom:

Freeze Tag
    1 – 20
    Taxi Cab
    You
    Mime it Down the Alley
    This is a Watch
    Emotion Party
    Party Quirks
    Led By the Nose
    Guided Mimes
    Magic Chairs
    Adverb Exit
    Walking Tall
    Where Am I?
    What are you doing?
    Solo Pantomimes
    Dance Steps
    Acting Out Nursery Rhymes
    Anything Fabric

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller
    stadtfamily@juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 4.  RE: online (zoom) workshop ideas

Posted 08-29-2020 14:49
    Thanks so much for the endorsement, Maria!

I keep forgetting to update this list but I'm doing 8 shows on-line in rotation
    Aug 30 & 31: Breakneck Julius Caesar
    Sept 13 & 14: Lost at Santa's Village
    Sept 20 & 21: Shakespeare's Histories
    Sept 27 & 28: Moliere than Thou
    Oct 4 & 5: Breakneck Hamlet
    Oct 18 & 19: The Greatest Speech of All Time
    Oct 25 & 26: Lot o' Shakespeare
    Nov 1 & 2: Man Cave, a One-Man Sci-Fi Climate Change Tragicomedy

See you on line!
    Tim

Tim Mooney